closed pool 52F - won't hold chlorine, should I SLAM it?

Jun 28, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
My pool is still closed for the winter with a mesh cover. I went to pump some water out and noticed some green growing on the steps. No FC... Water is 52F.
I started to SLAM, but wanted to make sure there isn't something I'm missing. The quick chlorine test should work at 52F correct?

I think the bleach I got is old.. I added 12 gallons and have no FC 10 minutes after I added it. The green was only a little growing in the steps. The water was and is clear....

Ahh, back to the basics. Thanks for the reminder.
when I winterized the pool everything was perfect.
Now?
FC: 0
CC: 0
pH 7.5
TA: 20
CA: 20
CYA: 0

So, I'm going to get the pump running, bring up the TA, then use some triclor pucks to bring the CYA up and pH down (assuming the Alki plus will raise the pH in the process)

Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks!

Ahh, back to the basics. Thanks for the reminder.
when I winterized the pool everything was perfect.
Now?
FC: 0
CC: 0
pH 7.5
TA: 20
CA: 20
CYA: 0

So, I'm going to get the pump running, bring up the TA, then use some triclor pucks to bring the CYA up and pH down (assuming the Alki plus will raise the pH in the process)

Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks!
Don't add that CYA just yet.

What was your CYA at closing?

There have been rare instances that when opening a pool and finding both the FC and CYA at zero, the CYA may have been converted by bacteria to ammonia. Adding CYA will fuel the bacteria to make more ammonia.

Have a read here:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/111138-Dealing-with-Ammonia

CYA was 50 when I closed, but about half the water has been removed and replaced with rain/snow water over the winter, so I was expecting about 30 CYA.

Interesting CYA eating bacteria.

Well I ran the pump for a few hours, added 8lbs alki plus to get started last night.
This evening I have:
FC: 23
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CA: 70
CYA: 30

What just happened?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.