NO CYA?! Is that right or am I wrong?

Jun 13, 2009
Hi All,
Love the site, recommended to many others already. New pool owner and new to TFP.
Big blue bubble kind :? but we hope to enjoy for a season or two. Finished filling this week with well water, crystal clear for 4 days and still is. Began test with basic kit and then the TF-100, after it arrived. First tests registered low-0.
Turned on filter pump and then added bleach and borax last night. This am, still crystal clear Test results:
FC 1
CC 0
TC .5
pH 7.2
TA 20
CYA 0
water temp 75 degrees
outside 85-95, pool stays partially shaded all day.
No CYA could that be possible? or did I miss something?
Is it better to use borax, baking soda, or soda ash to raise TA and ph?
Pool calulator says 3.2 oz of borax and 20 oz of bleach. What else do you recommend?
Did I ask too many different questions in one thread? Sorry new to posting also :|

You want to use baking soda to raise the TA level. I would add 3 lbs of baking soda.

You also want to add some CYA/stabilizer/conditioner to raise the CYA level, about 1.5 lbs of the granular CYA.

You should also add some chlorine this evening, about 2 cups of 6% bleach will do it.

Thanks for the help. Is it better to add the 99% liquid CYA or the granular?

I know (from reading here) that the granular will take about a week to dissolve thoroughly in the system, before I should test CYA again. Can you swim as it dissolves? I would assume that I would be using the sock or hose, delivery system.
What about when using the liquid? How long do I need to wait before testing?
How long after adding liquid CYA before it is safe to swim?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.