Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saving money on a new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Saving money on a new pump

I am thinking of getting a new pump because of my electric bill. My neighbor showed me his efficient pump (variable speed) and that has improved his electric bill tremendously. Of course, his pool is different than mine so I am not sure if it would work for me.

My current pump is a single speed 1 1/2hp. My pool is 17000 gallons. My cartridge is a 1750 hayward. Lastly, the pool is outdoor and there are times where I have to clean the skimmer out daily due to leaves.

Anyways, my main concern would be that the new pump wouldn't do the job properly, especially due to the outdoor/nature stuff that keeps falling into the pool.

Anyways, any ideas?
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saving money on a new pump

Just got a Pentair SuperFlo VS and it works great! Right now Pentair is giving back a $50 rebate on them and you may get one from your power utility too. You will need to run it on clean cycle for a couple hours a day but the rest of the time you can run it down low and save some money!

3. Back To Top    #3

So this???
    Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Energy Efficient Variable Speed Pool Pump

Also, is there a difference between running at 110V versus 230V?

And one more thing, I assume this works with a salt generator, correct?
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup. They have them for $638 shipped from PoolSuppliy4Less.com.

Running at 230V uses half the amps and costs less to run (slightly) as it is more efficient.

It will work with SWG, yes.

This recommendation came to me about a month ago from @pooldv and it was a very good recommendation!

5. Back To Top    #5

The superflo VS is a great pump. I love mine it cheap to run and efficient. There is effectively no difference between running it at 110v or 230v ( Watts = Volts x Amps). You will be able to run your SWG without any problems.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess what I mean is smaller wire and breaker sizes. The cost to run it will not really be different.