CH and CYA high

Mar 8, 2016
McGregor, Texas
Hey there guys and gals,

Had my first bout with algae about 1 week ago since completing the pool last summer. I shocked it once, brushed all walls and floor.....let it do its thing for 2 days. Then removed filters and cleaned them thoroughly. Added one more bag of shock since FC was already down to 0, along with brushing the walls and floor again. Pool looks great a week later....but I noticed it feels a bit hard. Tested everything last night and here are my results. Regular Chlorine pool (Non-SWG)

FC: 1

PH: 7.6

CH: 500!

TA: 100

CYA: 100

I know the FC needs to come up a bit. Concerned with CH and CYA however. Should I give it a few more days to see if it goes down, or do I need to replace water (Pool Calc says 40%). Builder told us that the pebble really needs to stay under water (never exposed).

Thanks!

Hi Tucker. Well, today might have been a good day to try and lower the CH and CYA with all the heavy TX rains (water exchange). That's the only way to lower CH and CYA. If the weather didn't help, I would definitely do a partial water exchange to lower the CYA to about 50-60. Whatever the CH lowers to from exchange it's fine. Even at 500, while elevated, is not crazy unmanageable by keeping the pH and TA a little lower. To help you control sanitization and FC control, lower that CYA as soon as you can, then adjust the FC as noted on the TFP Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). After that, never let the FC drop below the minimum as noted on that chart. Hope that helps.

Your pool was built last Mar/Apr I believe, so exposing the pebble just long enough to exchange the water shouldn't be a problem. Probably only a few hours I would think. If your CYA is "exactly" 100, then you only need to exchange about 40-50% of the water. Even if you did it in smaller stages, while not as efficient, is better than nothing if you are really concerned about exposure or perhaps more importantly right now, the water table if you got any of this rain recently.

Thanks again for Reply. Yea, it was exactly 100. Contacted PB last night and he clarified that he didn't want me leaving the pebble exposed for a long amount of time (like a week); but said that draining half and re-filling would be fine. Guess I'll be draining the pool this weekend. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.