can i replace part without draining? please say yes :)

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
I need to replace this in the port where my water comes back into the pool...is there a way to do that without draining to below the hole or do I need to just suck it up and drain about 4 inches of water? I think replacing this :
View attachment 59038

with this:

Capture.jpg
will resolve my issue I am having with my intex vacuum...I may be wrong, but willing to give it a go...I think the part in the top picture is restricting the waterflow enough to lessen the pressure and keep the hose from getting the proper amount of pressurization needed to make the vacuum work...

Can you take the hose off from the outside the pool off and keep the water from coming of the pool from the inside?

IF so then you might stand a chance. It will take team work and good timing (and be a good test of your marriage :roll:)

Share a pic of what it looks like so we can see what needs to be done.

Kim:kim:

it is the inside piece that I need to replace...after thinking thru the setup and what has to happen, i think I better just be on the safe side and do a slight drain and then just refill a bit. I am getting all of my numbers dialed in right now...just got my salt where I want it, might be a touch high actually, so a bit of a drain may not be a horrible thing...added a lb of cya today to get my cya up to 70 - just need to disconnect the copper thing and seal it up so no water can get in and then I am ready to turn on swg soon... I want to get a full set of numbers before I do that, and make sure my FC is within target so that I will be able to tell if my swg is keeping up with things...I am so glad I left this baby up over the winter...I would not even be near this far along otherwise!

I will say that I am LOVING the sand filter though! amazing how nasty that water gets! and now I know that it is not going thru the paper and right back into my pool! I still have dirt on the bottom, but for not being able to vacuum and only keeping it suspended as much as possible, via sweeping and my cool bottle invention, it is gone pretty decent I think!

Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this little vacuum cleaner but it definitely is not working still. I opened it up and made sure the little part inside that the water comes through is all correct and I got it back in the water... when I pick it up out of the water I can fill water jetting out of one end and then I hear a little clicking and then water starts jetting out of both ends and then it clicks again and starts coming out the same end it was coming out the first time. Usually when I turn it on it will take off across the pool and go one or two swipes and then it's done and it just sits and doesn't move much if it all... I hooked up my regular vacuum on a pole again today and again it started off pretty good and had a nice strong suction but over several minutes it slowly lost that and it just seems like it's not pulling enough water through because the water level in my basket drops significantly... and when I unhook the entire thing and go back to turn the dial it is pressured up and hard to turn again... I hate to say it but this pump doesn't really seem to be a good thing when it comes to my vacuuming situation. I may break down and hook up my old pump tomorrow if I get home early enough and see if it will run the little vacuum or the big vacuum... I don't think it will be nearly as effective at catching the dirt as the sand filter is but at least I'll be getting it up off the bottom and not waiting for days and days for it to circulate and get pulled in through the new filter after being suspended in the water... and I did turn on my swg tonight for the first time after making sure that my chlorine was already at 5... so I'm going to let it run for 5 hours tonight and then test my chlorine when I get home tomorrow to see where I'm at. I will probably have to do a lot of experimenting to get that dialed in correctly

The Intex auto pool cleaner needs a strong pump to work well. You can test if that is the issue by bypassing the sandfilter while you vacuum. Turning the six way valve to passthrough increases the pressure into the pool and might be enough of a boost to get the vacuum going.

Yeah, I run mine off a 1050 GPH pump, so you shouldn't have any problems. Sounds like maybe a defective unit? Or maybe an airleak somewhere in your system? When I lift up the unit, the water jet is strong and shoots clear across the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.