Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can i replace part without draining? please say yes :)

1. Back To Top    #1

can i replace part without draining? please say yes :)

I need to replace this in the port where my water comes back into the pool...is there a way to do that without draining to below the hole or do I need to just suck it up and drain about 4 inches of water? I think replacing this :
    Attachment 59038

with this:

Capture.jpg
    will resolve my issue I am having with my intex vacuum...I may be wrong, but willing to give it a go...I think the part in the top picture is restricting the waterflow enough to lessen the pressure and keep the hose from getting the proper amount of pressurization needed to make the vacuum work...
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can i replace part without draining? please say yes :)

Can you take the hose off from the outside the pool off and keep the water from coming of the pool from the inside?

IF so then you might stand a chance. It will take team work and good timing (and be a good test of your marriage )

Share a pic of what it looks like so we can see what needs to be done.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

it is the inside piece that I need to replace...after thinking thru the setup and what has to happen, i think I better just be on the safe side and do a slight drain and then just refill a bit. I am getting all of my numbers dialed in right now...just got my salt where I want it, might be a touch high actually, so a bit of a drain may not be a horrible thing...added a lb of cya today to get my cya up to 70 - just need to disconnect the copper thing and seal it up so no water can get in and then I am ready to turn on swg soon... I want to get a full set of numbers before I do that, and make sure my FC is within target so that I will be able to tell if my swg is keeping up with things...I am so glad I left this baby up over the winter...I would not even be near this far along otherwise!

I will say that I am LOVING the sand filter though! amazing how nasty that water gets! and now I know that it is not going thru the paper and right back into my pool! I still have dirt on the bottom, but for not being able to vacuum and only keeping it suspended as much as possible, via sweeping and my cool bottle invention, it is gone pretty decent I think!
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

4. Back To Top    #4

Good plan! Better safe than sorry AND you know how to balance the water so you are good to go!

Yeah that little water toy is something else!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this little vacuum cleaner but it definitely is not working still. I opened it up and made sure the little part inside that the water comes through is all correct and I got it back in the water... when I pick it up out of the water I can fill water jetting out of one end and then I hear a little clicking and then water starts jetting out of both ends and then it clicks again and starts coming out the same end it was coming out the first time. Usually when I turn it on it will take off across the pool and go one or two swipes and then it's done and it just sits and doesn't move much if it all... I hooked up my regular vacuum on a pole again today and again it started off pretty good and had a nice strong suction but over several minutes it slowly lost that and it just seems like it's not pulling enough water through because the water level in my basket drops significantly... and when I unhook the entire thing and go back to turn the dial it is pressured up and hard to turn again... I hate to say it but this pump doesn't really seem to be a good thing when it comes to my vacuuming situation. I may break down and hook up my old pump tomorrow if I get home early enough and see if it will run the little vacuum or the big vacuum... I don't think it will be nearly as effective at catching the dirt as the sand filter is but at least I'll be getting it up off the bottom and not waiting for days and days for it to circulate and get pulled in through the new filter after being suspended in the water... and I did turn on my swg tonight for the first time after making sure that my chlorine was already at 5... so I'm going to let it run for 5 hours tonight and then test my chlorine when I get home tomorrow to see where I'm at. I will probably have to do a lot of experimenting to get that dialed in correctly

6. Back To Top    #6

The Intex auto pool cleaner needs a strong pump to work well. You can test if that is the issue by bypassing the sandfilter while you vacuum. Turning the six way valve to passthrough increases the pressure into the pool and might be enough of a boost to get the vacuum going.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

7. Back To Top    #7

My pump is a 2800 gph, but i plan to try what you said along with one or two other things...something has to work!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, I run mine off a 1050 GPH pump, so you shouldn't have any problems. Sounds like maybe a defective unit? Or maybe an airleak somewhere in your system? When I lift up the unit, the water jet is strong and shoots clear across the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

when I lift up mine, the water jet is quite strong out one end, then it clicks and jets out both ends at the same time and then goes back to jetting out the one end again...

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like it's defective, it should alternate between the two directions, never both at the same time.