Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool advice

Hello everyone! I am getting close to purchasing an above ground 21' 52" SWG pool that will be partially inground. It will be a self (by "self", I mean my husband) install. We are completely new to pool ownership. I'd really like to get a 2 speed pump after reading on this forum. The company I'm buying from only offers a 2hp 2 speed pump, which I think is too big. I'm still deciding between sand or cartridge filter. Would you guys care to make some suggestions, especially in pumps and filters? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool advice

We got ours from the pool factory. You can see the install in the sig. We have very happy so far...
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't like messing with cartridges so would go with a sand filter.
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Kelbrad and welcome to TFP! You'll find diehard sand, DE, and cartridge owners here. It really boils-down to preference and perhaps water usage. We know sand and DE can use a bit more water for backwashing and such, but cartridge filters require rinsing occasionally. If you go cartridge, go as big as you can to reduce the time between cleanings. Since your pool looks to be a straight-forward set-up with no major options (spas, waterfalls, etc) you could probably even get by with a 1 - 1.5 HP pump. But I agree, go with a 2-speed to save on $$. I'm sure more folks will chime-in with opinions.

Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!