Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newby: First water test

1. Back To Top    #1

Newby: First water test

I just completed my first test on my new pool with my Taylor k 2006 test kit. I welcome any tips or info that you all willing to provide.

8-free chlorine
    0-combined chlorine
    7.8- ph
    140- total alkalinity
    50- calcium hardness
    37- CYA
    33' round ABG pool
    aluminum wall with steel core
    filled with well water
    Aqua pro 200 sqf cartridge filter system with 2 hp pump
    Aquabot pool rover plus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newby: First water test

Looks pretty good actually. We would round-up the CYA to 40 which means FC should be between 5-7, so you can let it drop slightly. Never below 3 though. Low CH doesn't matter with your vinyl pool. Because you use well water, there is a tendency to have iron in that water, so you'll want to keep the pH lower. I'd recommend about 7.4-7.5. If you find the pH climbs really fast day by day, then lower the TA as well following the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Maybe try for a TA goal of about 70-80 and see if that helps. Once pH stays steady, you can leave the TA alone. They work together that way. If pH (and/or FC) gets too high with iron water, it will cause the metal to precipitate out causing stains and turn the water green or brown. Other than that, looking good.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Looks good to me, you might eventually want to bring that TA down but I wouldn't worry about it yet. And call your CYA 40 (round up to next multiple of 10)

How's the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

NICE!!!

What did you use to get the FC to 8?

Lets call your CYA 40. We round up for that one.

Your TA is a tad high. We will work on that.

Print this out:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

and read this:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

and this:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

We will work together to get this pool balanced and keep it look like a jewel!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys for the responses! @Mr. Bruce the water looks great! @ Texas Splash I had my water tested by the local pool store and they said that I had 0 ppm iron or copper. @ kimkats so far I've added chlorine pucks, conditioner, and have shocked my pool three times using 2lbs per treatment all at the recommendation of the pool store.
    33' round ABG pool
    filled with well water
    Aquabot pool rover plus

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If I were you I'd stay out of the pool store. None of the things you've added are things we use on any regular basis. You are lucky your water is in good shape, I really recommend reading the links Kim posted, especially the second one. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Please let us know if anything in the links doesn't make sense
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766

7. Back To Top    #7

That's why I am here Mr.Bruce! The guys at the pool store started contradicting each other and actually got in a pretty heated argument while I was standing there. Which honestly I thought was kinda funny,but never the less decided to do a little research and that's when I found TFP!
    33' round ABG pool
    filled with well water
    Aquabot pool rover plus

8. Back To Top    #8

The guys at the pool store started contradicting each other and actually got in a pretty heated argument while I was standing there.

Yep, very common. The bad advice, not the arguing. That IS funny. Stick with us and the links you see above and in our sigs and you'll be in much better shape. Find a place in CA that offers regular/plain bleach at a good price and you'll be on your way. Got more questions? We've got answers.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

After using pool math it is suggesting that I use 53 oz by weight of dry acid or 39 oz of muriatic acid. Does it matter which one I use? And does that sound correct?
    33' round ABG pool
    filled with well water
    Aquabot pool rover plus

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

If you are lowering ph, muriatic acid is better. Dry acid adds extra "stuff".

A ph of 7.8 is fine, but if you are ready to lower TA then dropping ph (and therefore TA) is fine.

I would recommend aiming for 7.4 or 7.5 if this is your first time adding acid. You don't want to over-shoot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Muriatic acid its. Do you guys know of a good source for aquiring it? I saw that I could get it on amazon. Its calling it a ph reducer instaed of muriatic acid. Is that the same thing?
    33' round ABG pool
    filled with well water
    Aquabot pool rover plus

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrueblood View Post
    Muriatic acid its. Do you guys know of a good source for aquiring it? I saw that I could get it on amazon. Its calling it a ph reducer instaed of muriatic acid. Is that the same thing?
    I buy mine from Home Depot. Usually 7.50 for 2 Gallons.

13,500 gallon In-Ground Pebble Tech with a 1.5hp ? Pool Pump, Jacuzzi CFR 100 Filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the outside area and make sure it is the 31% stuff.

Use care and wear eye protection. Try to be up wind as the fumes are nasty. Store the MA away from any chlorine and metal.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

You can get MA at Lowe's

Or at Home Depot

It's also one item I don't mind getting at the pool store - Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. Just get it and leave.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you for all the help! I am sure I will be bugging you all with more remedial questions till I get it nailed down.
    33' round ABG pool
    filled with well water
    Aquabot pool rover plus

16. Back To Top    #16

We love questions or just plain gut checks. That helps us make sure you really understand what is going on!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Kim forgot to add that she loves pool pics!!
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogdan View Post
    Kim forgot to add that she loves pool pics!!
    Oh so true! The more the better!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

Pictures for sure when I get the rest of the yard done. The pool was the first step of a complete back yard reno.
    33' round ABG pool
    filled with well water
    Aquabot pool rover plus