Hello from Toronto!

Mar 31, 2017
Toronto
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and a complete pool newbie. I bought a new home in the fall with a pool and am now trying to get a handle on what all is involved to keep it hopefully "Trouble Free". The pool was open when I bought the home and looked fantastic. The pool was closed by the time I had moved in and I was foolish enough not to take the day off work to be there for the closing.

I now have a pool that has leaked out over the winter just below the steps. The steps are in rough shape and appear to be the source of the leak. After talking to the pool company that maintained the pool for the previous owners they have told me that they had been recommending a step repair for a few seasons and that they had done several liner leak detections and patches on the 12 year old liner.

We had the pool drained and stripped today. The steps will be repaired and re-finished next week and the new liner should follow a week or two later.

This appears to be a fantastic forum with many knowledgeable, experienced pool owners. I have started reading through the pool school and will now have to figure out all my equipment. I look forward to learning from all of your experience as I get this pool back into shape.

Thanks for being there! I'm glad I will have you all to draw from.

Pool as I saw it in when I bought the home.

sccpool.jpg

pool after winter cover was off
pool before.jpg

pool stripped and waiting for step refinish and new liner
pool stripped.jpg

Hello Scott and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect that will look fantastic once the new liner is in. On a side note, we can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. In your region, most try to get the Taylor K-2006 as there are proprietary rights for shipping the TF-100 up north. But fellow Canadians here at TFP can help you with various sources and confirm how important the proper test kit is to maintaining your water. Can't wait to see the finished project. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks Pat. The test kit does sound like an important tool as I read through the pool school and postings. I will try searching the Taylor test kit and see what I can come up with. I will have to go through the pool shed and see what the previous owners left and will look at the pump, heater and equipment so I can learn more about what I actually have. I also have some sort of robotic cleaner. I thik it is made by Hayward. You can see it in my first picture. It seems a little large and I have no idea how it works.