Brown Hot Tub Water

Jun 18, 2008
Ontario Canada
Please help.
We just had our new Beachcomber hot tub installed yesterday. The dealer set it up and filled it with our hose. We are on well but we have both an iron filter and a water softener. They wanted us to bypass the softener which we did but the iron filter was still on. They filled the tub added the start up chemicals. The water was clear. Later in the evening I noticed a yellowish tinge to the water. This morning the water is brown. Like really brown. It is clear brown though...I can still see the bottom of my tub. I tested the water with the test strips provided and the PH is 8, ALK is over 120, chlorine is 3 (they told us yesterday not to let the chlorine go above 3 because we have a UV santizer on the tub).

I called the dealer and they said there is iron in the water and to rinse the filter 2-3 times each day for the next few days and it should filter itself out. Is this true? There seems to be a lot of brown in there. I just rinsed the filter with clean water and the water that came out looked like strong tea. The filter also had brown staining when I took it out and my chlorine floter has stains on the bottom, and the filter basket does too. The filter staining and the basket did clean up when I rinsed them. Should I be worried that this may damage my tub?

Do you think the filter will filter out the brown? Or should I be doing something else. Please help!
The water looks terrible. If there was iron in the water why did it start off clear and gradually turn brown? Shouldn't it have been brown from the start?

Thanks Kim

Ok so DH stopped on the way home at a local pool and spa place and they told us to try this Spa Stain Control. The bottle says Descaler for Hot water. Pevents against stain, water colouring, corrosion and scale.

Well we already have the water colouring. The bottle says it must be added before the sanitizer or the water may turn brown. HA HA! how much browner can it get. Anyways I didn't add it but phoned the store back and they said let the chlorine lower over the next little bit and then add it. So I guess we will try that?

I took a pic of the water so maybe that will help give a better understanding of what is happening.

[attachment=0:13so4upp]hottubwater.jpg[/attachment:13so4upp]

Attachments

• hottubwater.jpg
    hottubwater.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 386
When i forget about the filters in my house and the toilets start turning Brown, I add IRON OUT which Home depot or Lowes have on the shelf and clears the water quickly BUT BUT i do not know what it will do to the balance of the water. Also since you have this much iron, you should have a bottle of this anyways to clean the brime tank once in a while and do the regeneration or whatever it is called.. Also dont breath this stuff it will burn the yahoo out of your lungs..

I think I'm with FPM on this one. Since I am already out of POP on my pool issues, I think I would drain and start over in a heartbeat, adding the solution to the water and letting it sit a while before adding the chlorine.

Has it lightened up in time, or is that pretty much the same color since it turned?

You know I think it may be getting lighter. I rinsed the filter this morning and it was full of brown. I tested the chlorine and according to the strip it is very low. So I added the solution to clear it up. I figured what have I got to lose. I will check it when I come home later and see what is up. If this doesn't work we will drain and refill over the weekend. Fingers crossed.

CountryKim said:
You know I think it may be getting lighter. I rinsed the filter this morning and it was full of brown.
Good! That means it's (at least partly) particulates instead of dissolved and it will clear up on its own at least to some extent.

Some people claim to use chlorine to clear up the iron because it precipitates out. chem geek wrote a couple of articles on another forum that I didn't fully follow (hey, it's been 30 years since chem class) but I think ends up meaning "yes but." If it's particles you're lucky, and to the extent it's not, you need sequestrant or fresh water.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know why your dealer told you to bypass you water softener. IMO, you should fill your tub from the water softener. The only thing is, it will also remove calcium, therefore requiring you to add some.

Sorry it took so long to get this pic up. But here it is nice and clear. Kinda proud that I got it looking like that. Not sure why it has a bluish tinge...it isn't like that in person.
No more brown.
[attachment=0:38wrl74t]cleanhottub.jpg[/attachment:38wrl74t]

Attachments

• cleanhottub.jpg
    cleanhottub.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 214
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.