Screwing ladder to top rail (inside or outside pool)

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I'm going to try to explain this as best I can.

I just had my saltwater 5000 pool installed yesterday. I have an A-Frame safety ladder that screws into the top rail.

If the top rail is 6 inches long maybe 1.5 inches hangs 'out' of the pool and 4.5" is in the pool. There is very little area to 'screw' the ladder to sit outside the pool. Also, that 1.5 inches that hangs out of the pool is not 'flat' it's kind of angled downward. The flat area hangs into the pool.

Would it be ok to screw the ladder through the toprail where the bolts would be 'inside' the pool?

I can take pics if I'm not explaining it correctly.

Hi Kim - See below. Can you tell that the first pic has more top rail 'hanging into the pool' than outside the pool. Can I screw my ladder to the inside portion. That is where the top rail is flat. As it gets outside the pool, that top rail slopes downward and isnt flat.

ladder 4.JPGladder 5.JPG

Rich, what does the ladder manufacture say? What about the pool company? I have a deck so was able to secure my ladder to that. I do NOT want to tell you to do something that will damage your pool.

You know what? Try calling Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com and see what they have to say. They have awesome cust. service and cover this kind of thing all of the time! Let me know what they say so I can learn along with you.

Kim:kim:

Do you have a deck? If not, your ladder should have two parts. One is on the outside of the pool to climb up onto platform and then the ladder that goes into the pool. I've never seen a ladder attached to the top rails. The platform of the ladder should rest on the top rail. Once you screw into that metal top rail, it will start rusting and there will always be a hole there. Most ladders are attached to decking, if you have a deck.

I'd avoid screwig that into the top rail if at all possible. Too much flex in those with kids playing on them. To the point of fabbing up a couple of 4x4 posts with a cross bar to screw into on the outside of the pool.

Grab that all resin top rail---rock it a little, imagine a couple hundred pounds on the ladder--------and decide if that's still what you want to do. I predict ripped, slotted holes in short order in your top rail if you do.

I really like woodyp's idea the best. Or something similar to this:

SsX7sXx.jpg

Ugly option, big C clamps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.