Please help

New to swimming pool. We had the electric hooked up and called the place that installed our pool to see how to check the electric and they told us to put it on filter and now our pool is all cloudy. I've since found out that we should have rinsed it first. How do I fix it? Also the only thing they gave me were chlorine tablets. Do I add them to the skimmer until I learn how everyone on this forum treats their pool? Don't have a tester yet except the strip they gave me and everything (according to the strips) is good except for the chlorine. Gonna buy the recommended test kit today.

Welcome to TFP! The best place for oops I filtered instead of rinsed! Number 1, and looks like you have already decided, but you must have a good quality test kit, period. We recommend either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, ditch the guess strips.

Number 2, step away from the tabs. We only feed our pools a diet of plain bleach and some occasional muriatic acid. Until your test kit arrives, dump 1 gallon of 8.25 plain bleach(no scents and not splash-less) each day. Once you get your awesome test kit, post a full set of numbers and we can help you get your water sparkling.

Denise,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for "Hope" and your new pool.. :shark:

Getting the test kit will help us help you..

In the meantime, I would add one jug of plain bleach, not scented or splash-less. Add with the pump running in front of one of the returns were water is coming back into your pool.

I'd then add half a jug everyday, until your kit arrives..

I'd run the pump for the next 24-hours and use your brush to keep things stirred up. Let's see if the filter will clear things up. (I assume you have rinsed the filter by now.. if not do so)

I would not add the pucks/tablets at all for now, but if you do don't let them sit in the skimmer. Use one of those floating dispensers.

Good luck with your new pool,

Jim R,

Thank you so much. I did put the tablets in the skimmer, didn't have a floater but will go out and get some bleach today. I thought that the pucks would be OK at first as it would raise the ca don't even know much of what it all means but just reading through other threads. I will get some bleach today. Will the tabs be ok in the skimmer until I get the bleach or should I take them out now? Also why did it turn so cloudy turning the pump on and if it came out of the pump will it just go right back through and out the pump again?

Thank you so much. I did put the tablets in the skimmer, didn't have a floater but will go out and get some bleach today. I thought that the pucks would be OK at first as it would raise the ca don't even know much of what it all means but just reading through other threads. I will get some bleach today. Will the tabs be ok in the skimmer until I get the bleach or should I take them out now? Also why did it turn so cloudy turning the pump on and if it came out of the pump will it just go right back through and out the pump again?

Denise,

It is not a good idea to put the tablets in the skimmer, but a few days will not matter.

The problem with the tablets is that they add CYA to the water. CYA is what holds the chlorine together when in the solid form.

Using the tablets for a few days will not cause any real harm. We need you to use your new test kit to determine the CYA level in your pool. This will tell us if you can continue to use the tablets or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim, I will post test results when I get the kit. Water had just been filled and was super clear until we ran the pump. I just hope I don't have to drain all that water. It took 3 days to fill. The electrical inspector is coming out today. Once he is done we are gonna backfill. It's about 24 inches in the ground on one side. The clay we have here in Tn. Has hardened into big chunks, do you have any tricks for backfill in and the leftover sand we have is almost 4 tons would it be ok to mix that in with the clay. I have read not to and have read that it will harden like concrete and that would be good as far as future liner changes. Not sure what to do with the sand as the grass probably won't grow if I were to spread in the yard.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Crystal, so far it's been a headache with all the work, then the pool installer telling us to put in on filter to check and now our water is dirty from the sand we didnt rinse. but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will post results when I get the test kit. I will also ditch the tabs.

Hi Denise! I don't really have much to add except that you're going to be so glad you found this forum in the early stages of pool ownership. I found it after some twenty years of doing it the pool store way. Could have saved a lot of time, money, and aggravation. You're gonna do great!

The proper backfill for a pool is gravel as it won't settle underneath your deck or wash away like sand will. You could use up some/most of the sand by putting some in with the gravel. But not so much as to separate the rocks from each other. Just enough to fill the voids. To be clear, the sand isn't needed, but just an idea to get rid of some of it. Gravel is by far your best backfill alternative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.