Pool remodel....should I go back to SWG

Feb 16, 2015
Valencia, CA
Hi all,

Moved into home in Southern California Valley with existing pool with jandy equipment. Has existing aquapure swg system that was non functional, so I have been running it as just chlorine pool for last 4 years. We are undergoing a pool coping/tile/pebble rebuild, and was thinking of going back to SWG system. I recently upgraded the PCB to the new iaqualink 2.0 and unplugged the SWG system previously as it was giving an error code which I don't remember and beeping 24hrs a day. With that said, do you think it would be in my best interests as I maintain the pool myself, to get a new Jandy 1400 cell with sensor and go back to using SWG pool. It gets very hot 105+ in summer out here and pool gets sun from 7am until around 5pm. It is about a 15,000 gallon sport pool with deepest middle section about 5ft deep. Have 3 young kids and pool gets used probably 5 days a week with them and friends during summer months. After reading it seems that SWG may be my best bet from a maintenance perspective instead of going through tons of bleach.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, salt generator is the way to go. But do you know its the salt cell? You'd likely need the salt cell and flow sensor as the flow sensor is probably the old type. I just got a good deal on both the sensor and salt cell, and I can give you the link for that if thats what you need. For mine I ended up having to replace the board and transformer. I basically ended up replacing the whole thing, but luckily found parts used on ebay.

Welcome to TFP!

I will always have a SWG pool as all the conveniences of having one is worth every penny to me. A close second would be a Stenner Pump with automated liquid injection, but I would not want to have to buy and store that much chlorine all the time.

Since you have Jandy automation stick with an Aquapure SWG and make sure it has the latest sensor design as robl45 said. The Jandy SWG's have performed much better since the latest sensor update.

Check out Pool School at the top of each page, there is endless information there about pool care.

So just to test out my system, I plugged everything back in to identify the error code i was getting. My Jandy SWG system is giving error 170. This was the same error when we purchased the house with the non-functioning system, but I have since upgraded the PCB to the iaqualink 2.0 with newest software. Anybody have any ideas on what the 170 error could be. Again, I have no salt in my pool and have been running it since I purchased 4 years ago only on chlorine. It is the 1400 old square salt cell. Any help will be appreciated as I would like to try to troubleshoot before they drain the pool to start demo this coming Monday am.

The 170 error is a board error and points to the transformer. Your system is old and I would upgrade it to the latest since you are rebuilding the pool. The new cells need a slightly different plumbing configuration. Search Aquapure Workbook and you should be able to find a troubleshooting manual.

If you staying with a SWG, I recommend staying with Jandy as you have their automation. The newest version of Aquapure has been reliable as any other system out there that I have seen.

I did search and read a lot about it being the old trisensor 99% of the time. Thanks for the link to workbook as I will now test the transformer as well as trying to see if unplugging the sensor will clear the error before I decide what to do.

Thanks again for all your help

Ok so I tested and the transformer is bad, not just the cell. My SWG is very old as it was the Chlormatic 3 system. It consisted of a small back board and larger front board with the LCD readout screen. So I assume my best bet as suggested above is to purchase the whole new Jandy aquapure system. Please help me to understand if this kit I found online would all that I need....Jandy AquaPure Salt Chlorine Generator 40,000 Gallons | APURE1400KIT - Includes Salt Chlorine Generator, AquaPure Power Pack, and AquaPure PureLink 3-Port Salt Cell Kit. This is for the larger 1400 cell including new sensor etc. Price is just above $1,000. Would this be my best bet or a different Jandy SWG system. I recently upgraded my main PCB to the iAqualink 2.0 system.

Here is a pic of the front and rear board that I pulled out of my control box. From the looks of it the newer style of the apure1400 is all on a single board with the inline module on the sensor cable?

IMG_6406.jpg

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.