Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CyA.. How Much, How Often to Add, Typically?

1. Back To Top    #1

CyA.. How Much, How Often to Add, Typically?

I am thinking of putting 7 lbs on a 6 month Subscribe and Save Subscription with amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It can be canceled at any time for any reason and this seems to be just what the doctor ordered. With the long hot summer just ahead and our pool in full sun sunrise to sunset with the back yard oriented nearly due south and the only blockage is from the neighbor's house when the sun is almost set I think I'll be needing more of it this summer to keep things in check. Does it get consumed or am I ordering too much? I can go 4 pounds too but it ins't quite as cost effective.

TIA

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CyA.. How Much, How Often to Add, Typically?

What is the current CYA level? It is rare to need to add, unless you drained your pool for some reason.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Your entire pool needs 11 lbs to go from 0-80ppm (high end of suggested with a SWG). You only need to add cya as water is added. I would think a single 7lb packet would last you a while as long as it is for maintaining CYA level.
    Pool: 40x15ft "Mt. Lake" shaped plaster IG (30k gallons with Borates)
    SWG: Circupool Si-45
    Pumps: Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2302VSP) + Booster Pump for Polaris 180
    Robot: Kreepy Krauly 830 || Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA-60D (Sand)
    Test Kit: TF-100 (with Speed Stir)

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in process of adding CyA right now to bring it up from a low lrvel.

Results from poollogger.com

FC: 13
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 110
    CH: 500
    CYA: 50
    Temp: 71
    Salt: 3300

5. Back To Top    #5

I normally add several hundred gallons of water a month in the summer so it gets diluted and needs more CyA and MA going forward.

6. Back To Top    #6

Cya does not evaporate, if the water you are adding is to counter evaporation, then there is no need to add more CYA.

If the CYA is dropping, perhaps you have a leak. Or if you get enough rain that causes overflow, that could lower it too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Although, CYA does slowly break down in the summer, but on the order of 5ppm a month.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Due to splash out and a small leak somewhere.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
    Due to splash out and a small leak somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    That would fall into the 'water exchange' category.

Typically speaking, I add CYA once per season, and only 10-20ppm worth.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

So 20 ppm is two to three pounds depending on the pool size?

11. Back To Top    #11

So 20 ppm is two to three pounds depending on the pool size?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Use PoolMath and it'll tell you exactly how much cya is needed to raise it the desired amount

Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Use PoolMath and it'll tell you exactly how much cya is needed to raise it the desired amount

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    For my pool it is 43oz to go up 20ppm from 50 to 70 which is just under 3 lbs.

13. Back To Top    #13

I live in Bakersfield and during the summer we have endless days of 90-100F without a cloud in the sky. I have to add 28 ozs of CYA once or twice during this period to maintain 90 ppm. I know the loss is from degradation by the sun because I see no CYA loss at all from October thru May.

Pool water temp may also have an impact on CYA degradation, my water temp is well into the 80s when I experience the highest rate of loss.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you add water? I think that maybe it is more due to that than due to UV degradation but I am probably wrong.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just checked my CYA last week and found out that I was completely out - kept filling up the test tube with the solution and the black dot never went away! I was at about 70ppm at the end of last summer so not sure what happened over the winter. My pool does not have a leak and my borate level measured about the same as last summer at 50ppm so there is no leak. We did have plenty of rain this winter which cause some drain off so now not sure why my borate level stayed the same over the winter unless my reading last year was higher than I realized (those LaMotte strips are a pain to gauge)
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Did the R-0013 expire? Does it expire?

17. Back To Top    #17

Do you add water? I think that maybe it is more due to that than due to UV degradation but I am probably wrong.
    If CYA didn't degrade the only way you could lose it would be with any water removed from the pool. Water losses by evaporation wouldn't change the amount of CYA left in the pool.

To answer your question, yes I do add water. When it's 100F with very low humidity my water loss by evaporation is huge.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Unless liquid water left the pool CyA remains unchanged.