Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    If you check my posts - I had a post about a week ago and found out I was using the Clorox Xtrablue Chlorine pucks and I immediately quit using them.

    So as part of the thread I had going on about too my CYA in my water - I have emptied 1/2 the pool water at the request of the forum to straighten out my chemicals.

    So as things have progressed - I feel like I've opened up Pandora's box here - I think the pucks may have stained the pool. The is a orange tint around the steps and the liner. It is not slick like organic. We used a magic eraser in a couple of spots and it started coming up. You can see streaks in the pool where some chemical has gotten it off the liner in spots.

    Is this fixable? Or should I just get a new liner? *sigh* One thing of note - previous owner of home told us the liner has been laser measured for replacements - so maybe that helps??

    https://goo.gl/photos/8cBjBg1PgZdEDSdy7

    https://goo.gl/photos/z2mBqe4mPtES7HkW6
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    8,550

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Ok Vex, lets work this out- Grab some cheap-o chewable Vitamin C tablets and stuff'em in a sock. Bang it up a bit with a shoe or a hammer to break some up. Rub that sock on the steps of your pool in a spot and see if that lifts the stain. Let it sit on the stain about 5 minutes.

    Alternatively, go buy *one* single chlorine puck from the pool store (most sell singles, just no XtraBlue stuff please!) and let that sit on another spot on your steps. Does that do anything to the stain?

    What we're trying to deduce here, my dear Mr/Ms Watson, is whether the stain is organic or metals.

    Yippee <playing Sherlock tonight>
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Hey Yip!!

    I didn't grab the single chlorine puck, so didn't try that - but the sock with the vitamin c was already removing on the steps with little no rubbing - so based on that I'm assuming a metal stain.

    Where to from here?

    Thanks for the quick help!!


    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Ok Vex, lets work this out- Grab some cheap-o chewable Vitamin C tablets and stuff'em in a sock. Bang it up a bit with a shoe or a hammer to break some up. Rub that sock on the steps of your pool in a spot and see if that lifts the stain. Let it sit on the stain about 5 minutes.

    Alternatively, go buy *one* single chlorine puck from the pool store (most sell singles, just no XtraBlue stuff please!) and let that sit on another spot on your steps. Does that do anything to the stain?

    What we're trying to deduce here, my dear Mr/Ms Watson, is whether the stain is organic or metals.

    Yippee <playing Sherlock tonight>
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    8,550

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Ok, remind me.... do you fill the pool from city water or a well? Have you ever used cheap algaecides that contained copper? Do you see iron stains in your toilets?

    This situation is about the only time we suggest going to a pool store to have them test your water for metals. Buying the test kit for them is a bit pricey so let them do it, eh? Ask them to test for both copper and iron.

    Come back and tell us what they say-

    Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    We fill from city water - I will however go on record noting that the Greater Ouachita Water Company is not exactly noted for the best water in the US award if ya catch my drift. Now the previous home owner does have some clairifer in the pool shed - but I've never used it. I have only used the pucks he left along with the liquid bleach I've started using recently. I've not put anything else in the pool. I can try to get a metals test done at a local pool company - we'll see (service in this area can be annoyingly tough to come by). But we know I was using the Clorox xtrablues which have copper in them - so maybe I had too many in over the winter etc? The pool did not look like this when we bought the house. Maybe the previous owner had JUST started using the pucks in question before he sold the house...just thinking outloud. Also - the water company did do some kind of pipe changing and sent out notice in regard to possible debris etc (IIRC) - so maybe some metal got into the water from the work they did...like I said - guessing.

    PS - I put the sock down on the pool floor for like 5 seconds and moved lightly around - pool became perfectly clean in that spot....just passing along.

    Any other thoughts moving forward other than the test?

    Thanks Sherlock..er Yip! LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Ok, remind me.... do you fill the pool from city water or a well? Have you ever used cheap algaecides that contained copper? Do you see iron stains in your toilets?

    This situation is about the only time we suggest going to a pool store to have them test your water for metals. Buying the test kit for them is a bit pricey so let them do it, eh? Ask them to test for both copper and iron.

    Come back and tell us what they say-

    Yippee
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    8,550

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Okay... I've been researching your local water supply and you're right- you have had a LOT of water problems down there. Geesh! Lots of boil water advisories in the archives...

    So I need to get some other guides input here on what is the best way to handle this since your pool is vinyl. A plaster pool can tolerate some acid treatment but it doesn't mention vinyl so that means *no bueno* to me.

    So the options are: drain and replace water, deal with stains prior to drain if possible. But getting the metal out is a good thing.
    Drain and replace the liner... obviously the most costly choice. Depends on the condition of the current liner too, if its on its last leg already??
    Use sequestrants

    Lemme see what ideas I can get from the big guns around here....

    Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

  7. Back To Top    #7

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cartersville Ga
    Posts
    4,315

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    The quick answer is AA treatment. Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    24,974

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Ok, if Vit C lightened the stain then the stain is caused by iron. An ascorbic acid treatment will lift the stains. More here, Pool School - Pool Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Yeah - after being in Missouri and moving here, the local water was a bit of a shock

    Quick reading notes that people do use ascorbic acid with vinyl pools (at least that's what I read quickly..)

    That being said - it is getting close to liner replacement time. The previous owner said the liner ran like $1500 - but I don't know if that was installed, or just the liner.

    The pool is still more or less 1/2 drained - refilling as we speak as part of my other thread.

    I'll be watching - thanks for the help!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Okay... I've been researching your local water supply and you're right- you have had a LOT of water problems down there. Geesh! Lots of boil water advisories in the archives...

    So I need to get some other guides input here on what is the best way to handle this since your pool is vinyl. A plaster pool can tolerate some acid treatment but it doesn't mention vinyl so that means *no bueno* to me.

    So the options are: drain and replace water, deal with stains prior to drain if possible. But getting the metal out is a good thing.
    Drain and replace the liner... obviously the most costly choice. Depends on the condition of the current liner too, if its on its last leg already??
    Use sequestrants

    Lemme see what ideas I can get from the big guns around here....

    Yip
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  10. Back To Top    #10
    cjpwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    170

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Just had our pool built last summer but I was lead to believe that when liner replacement time comes it would be 2 or 3 times that...
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Thanks cjpwalker for that info - I would think the same....need to get some ideas around that anyway because I'm sure it won't be lone before a liner change is due.

    Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Just had our pool built last summer but I was lead to believe that when liner replacement time comes it would be 2 or 3 times that...
    - - - Updated - - -

    Ascorbic acid and sequester on order...will address as soon as it all arrives. Thanks for all the help/input everyone!
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    OK - got everything done last night - WHAT a difference!! I used the CULator kit from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I made sure the ph was right before starting and that the chlorine was 0 before starting - working on the ph today and will start chlorine raising tonight (slowly per thread on here and instructions with kit..)

    Here's the pics!! MUCH better!!

    Before:
    https://goo.gl/photos/WiSk1Nqr5bv11M4E7

    After:
    https://goo.gl/photos/staRngnA8N6MnHsv7

    Thanks for the help/advice - we appreciated it!!
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    105

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Wow beautiful!!
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    Quote Originally Posted by maieranne View Post
    wow beautiful!!
    thanks
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

  15. Back To Top    #15
    borjis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    The liner by itself is probably $ 1,500 and 800 to 1000 more for installation.

    I too had a custom laser measured liner installed awhile back.

    Try to find the documentation if you can, the serial number will tell the
    original manufacturer what size yours is when you get a new one and
    in a worst case scenario there should be a number on the backside of the liner itself
    when they remove it.

    Mine was so old (23 years before it failed if you can believe that) the
    serial number was unreadable.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    40

    Re: Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

    borjs - thanks for that input - I'm betting you're right on cost of installation etc. I do have the serial number in a packet the previous owner left with the house - so I might call and that cost - then find out who can install and get their cost - that way I know what I'm up against when it does come time to replace.

    Appreciate the input!!


    Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    The liner by itself is probably $ 1,500 and 800 to 1000 more for installation.

    I too had a custom laser measured liner installed awhile back.

    Try to find the documentation if you can, the serial number will tell the
    original manufacturer what size yours is when you get a new one and
    in a worst case scenario there should be a number on the backside of the liner itself
    when they remove it.

    Mine was so old (23 years before it failed if you can believe that) the
    serial number was unreadable.
    21120 Gallons * IG * Vinyl * Sand Filter 30" (label is gone - think it is Hayward) * Hayward Booster Pump 6060 * US Motors 1081 Pool Motor (C55CXKMB-5012) (Probably replaced Hayward Pump) * TF-100 Test Kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •