Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12" water depth tanning ledge

1. Back To Top    #1

12" water depth tanning ledge

We just started our build last week (excavation) and our builder was still giving us trouble with the 12" water depth tanning ledge that I want. He was saying normal depth for a tanning ledge is 6" water depth (1st step) or 18" water depth (2nd step). 6" is way to shallow for me and 18" is too deep. I want the water waist high when sitting. He says the step down from the coping into a 12" water depth ledge is too much. I said I'm fine with adding a small step (I guess 6" high) into the ledge in both corners. I never considered it without the additional step in. He said the step will barely be covered with water which I'm fine with and doesn't seem like a problem. Also, this step will not be the same height as the other steps into the pool. Is that an issue?

Does anyone else have a 12" water depth tanning ledge and if so, do you have an additional step into it and how big is the step? Are you happy with the water depth on the ledge?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12" water depth tanning ledge

We have a 12" Water depth tanning ledge. We have no additional step into. We are VERY happy with the water depth on the ledge. The ledge is on the right side of the pool in the picture. Two bubblers, with an umbrella hole in middle.

We don't like 6" ledge water because it is dirty in the pools we have visited. We loved the 12" ledges in pools we visited, so that's what we went with.

Here is a picture right after filling while we were still in clean up phase...

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are insisting on a 12" tanning ledge just put the steps in the corner like the builder suggested. I have a 9" tanning ledge with no steps and It is quite a step. Not bad for me but older people and young kids sometimes have a little trouble.

Also, I think it depends if it is your only entrance into the pool. Above they have a separate entrance. I enter our pool via the tanning ledge.
    15000gal IG Diamond Brite saltwater Pool. Hayward VS pump. 420gal Hayward cartridge filter. Omnilogic Panel. Colorlogic LED lights. Dolphin cleaner. Pool built June 2015. Taylor K2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are going to want that additional step. A step six inches below water works out like this: Your coping or deck is two inches (maybe 3) (ok it could be less). Then three inches of tile to the water line. Then six inches of water to the step. That makes the first step 11 inches from the deck.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Ours is also 12" and we didn't have a problem. I actually asked the builder to put a step in one of the corners and he either forgot or ignored me. However, we haven't had any issues with the 12" water depth. I'm trying to find a representative picture, but these are the best I have.

tanning ledge.jpg
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

The picture above in Esloser's post does a good job of illustrating the issue.

The pool entry steps on the left are set so that there is not a large step to the first step. His Tanning Ledge on the right has no step -- its a foot or more (looks like more to me). That may be fine for some folks but for older folks with bad backs or knees it could be problematic.

Its your pool you get to decide.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Our ledge is 10 inches of actual water then 3 inches of tile then a little more than 2 inches of coping so that makes it a little more than a 15" step. I tested it out and stepping up and down, it was just too much esp with my back. So we had a small step added and it is perfect. I didn't measure the step but it is about 4-6" tall.

37.5x17' 19.5k gal Shotcrete 3.5-7' w/sunshelf, 18" 7' spa with stone, Stonescapes Tropics Blue w/iridescent mini glass beads and abalone, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Swimclear cartridge 200 sq ft, 40k SWG, Pro Logic automation, 3 Colorlogic lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa), 2 LED bubblers, 4' LED sheer decent on raised wall, Hayward 400k BTU heater, 1500 sq ft Silver Travertine French pattern deck, Lightstream tile, 34x56 Mansard screen cage

8. Back To Top    #8

You can see the stop in this picture.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine is just under 12.5" at the water line and we love the depth. My 20month old loves to run round on the shelf and can still sit with her head above water. I love the depth to sit and lounge while leaning against the coping. When our Adirondack chairs are on the shelf we are sitting in about 2" of water. This depth also allows plenty of room for wall jets to help clear off the shelf.

22k Galllon/ 635SqFt Freeform Shotcrete pool currently under construction. All Pentair equipment: Easytouch8 Automation, 3hp VS pump, 5 Globrite LED lights, IC40 Salt Cell. 1600 Sgft Tremron Stonehurst paver Patio (Sand Dune Color). Tremron Stonegate Cap pool coping. Build: Fleming Island Fl- New Free Form Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone! We'll definitely be keeping the water depth 12" on the shelf and will have steps in both corners.

And yes, it will be the only entrance into the pool.