Sandblasted my Pool Deck

rcs101

Oct 24, 2013
Friendswood, TX
I've got a lot of really fine silica sand in the pool now, circulating water through the filter creates high pressures after 20 minutes, backwash opens filter back up, but again will only run for 20 minutes or so. Vinyl pool, 4 years old, using bleach as the sanitizer, no other issues other than Pool needs to be slammed, but with the sand issues, was wondering if the best thing to do was just pump all the water out and start over? Concerned about pumping all the water out of the pool and getting the liner back in place, also concerned about potential problems with the poolkrete. Thought about using panty hose over the returns, but doesn't really address the drains at the deep end of the pool.

What is the source of the sand? Is more entering the pool?

Does it collect in the pool? Are you sure its sand?

If you can see it on the pool bottom you could vacuum to waste.

Can you post us some pictures and some test results?

Sand got in the pool when I sand blasted the sealer off the concrete, nothing else is coming in the pool. Water chemistry is way off, no chlorine, ph is off, no cya, pool has been closed all winter and didn't cover, another story in itself. Didn't think about vacumming to waste, I'll try that. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Vacuuming to wast will lose a lot of water. I would think repeatedly running the water through your pool filter will eventually get it all.

In fact, I see no reason not to consider it part of the SLAM....killing two birds with one stone.

I would caution vacuuming a lot. That fine silica could jam up the sand in your filter. Concentrated vacuuming to waste I think would be best. Aiming all jets in a downward position will move it around so it could concentrates in small areas will ease the water loss.

Thanks for the input. I've been considering just pumping all the water out of the pool, then cleaning the sand up and the pool at the same time. My concern is the vinyl liner. Not sure how to make sure that the liner goes back into position when refilling.

I would think removing water would make it a LOT more difficult to remove.

Maybe try not running the pump at all and let it settle to the floor over a week.
(just thinking out loud here)

Then vacuuming to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.