New Orleans, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My pool was at first pumping, but making a humming sound sometimes. My pool repair woman was convinced it was the capacitor so she changed it. It kept doing the same thing, then stopped pumping altogether. Just would hum like it was trying to kick on. So she changed the impeller thinking it looked a little misshapen. It still won't work. She said when she runs it while it's taken apart it runs and the shaft moves. But when she puts it together it won't run and the shaft won't move. She said it seems like something is sticking, but doesn't see anything. She doesn't think it could be the bearing because then it wouldn't work when apart. Any ideas? She's suggesting a whole new pump--which is pricey.

Mod note: question split from this thread, pool pump makes humming noise and does not pump

Sometimes the grommets come loose and the assembly is not secure and the impeller will rub on the housing.

Are all grommets intact and secure?

Do you have pictures with everything disassembled?

I was going to disassemble it tonight and try to figure it out. Where would hte grommets be? Are they just small rubber rings? What are htey attached to?

- - - Updated - - -

She said she doesn't see anything blocking the impeller, but that it seems like it must be rubbing on something. She's thinking maybe the housing is warped and rubbing against it.

There are 4 bolts that hold the motor to the seal plate. The seal plate had grommetts that receive the bolts.

If the grommetts are loose, the motor can shift backwards and cause the impeller to rub on the seal plate.

Turn the shaft to see if it turns easily.

Access shaft from the rear under hex cap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.