Auto Cover won't open

dww

Aug 2, 2016
Cameron, MO
I have an automatic cover on our pool. This pool was finished last October. Our auto pool cover will not open consistently. The pool builder insists that a 'vacuum seal' occurs and you have to use a leaf blower to blow air under the cover to break that seal. I'm 1 part amused and 3 parts angry. Does anyone else have issues like this?

We opened our cover yesterday and swam for a couple hours. Left the cover open for another 3 hours while running the cleaning robot. Closed it last night, no issues. Now this morning the cover won't open more than 1-2 inches before shutting off.

As expensive as this cover was, I expect it to open when I push the open button. Is that too much to expect?

We have had issues like this before, but it eventually broke free. Today, fidgeted with it for almost an hour, and nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

Help??

First thought- are you sure your ropes are pulling evenly?

Do you ever spray your tracks out in case something is hindering the movement?

I wonder if there is some sort of pause or something in the electrical signal telling it to open??? I dunno....just a thought.

I've never had a problem opening or closing mine (thankfully).

Call the manufacturer and see if they can troubleshoot over the phone?

Yippee :flower:

I talked to the mfg. They basically said the same thing, likely drag causing too much resistance. They are suggesting the leaf blower also. There is a procedure to increase motor torque, if all else fails.

I'm just frustrated that this wasn't mentioned before, during, or even after the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your sentiments cjpwalker. I'm baffled that anyone would think it's ok to sell an item for that cost, then suggest that using a leaf blower to get it open is a standard procedure. I got the same basic response from the mfg. as the builder. Increased resistance from water causing the motor to shut off. Breaking the 'vacuum seal' with air from a leaf blower will assist in opening. 'sigh'

We use Coverstars and usually we can adjust the slip clutch to get it to be able to pull the cover open. I do have one cover that is about 23' wide and 58' long that I wish we had put a spa blower to help it open so it wouldn't drag so hard

Talked to a tech support guy today from the mfg. he emailed me the process to increase the torque of the motor. Will try this out tonight. It sounded like all it will take is some key presses on the number pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a rectangular cover over a kidney shaped pool.The cover drags over both the water and the pool deck. For years I have had a similar problem because the cover adheres to the deck around the pool especially after a rainstorm. A leaf blower has helped in the past, the air separated the cover material from the pool deck, but it has been a real pain.

This spring I created a solution. I ran 1/2 inch pvc into my pool cover take up reel box and tapped off of it with 1 1/4 inc pvc nozzels directed under the cover. It is hooked into a blower motor that I use to blow out lines when closing. It is controlled buy an outlet and switch in my home. Now I just hold the swithch for a moment before I open the cover and it inflates enough to slide easily. I should have done it years ago.

If your cover is only gliding on water, I'm not sure why you have this issue,( may want to check your sliders) but I hope the idea helps. I will try to post some photos when I have time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Increasing the torque has helped somewhat. When it gets stuck I can now simply lift my finger from the open button, and then press it again. Usually it opens on the 2nd or 3rd press of the button. In talking to the mfg, they think it is possibly damaged software in the keypad. They have sent me a new keypad to try out. Unfortunately, the wiring inside my current keypad box doesn't match the wiring diagram. Part of the problem perhaps? Not sure. I'm not real handy when it comes to electrical diagrams and wire tracing, so I'm waiting for my father to have a free day to come help. I'll keep you posted.

I've eliminated water drag as even a possibility though. Sometimes it gets stuck closing. Once, the wind was blowing from the perfect direction and ballooned the cover off the water while closing and it still got stuck. It really seems to be related to heat and/or direct sunlight. As we've not had this issue at night or on cool or cloudy days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.