No good deed...

TDavis

Jul 6, 2016
Chesapeake
So my dad has been watching out for my house while I was away for work... well, we finally had a nice 75 degree weekend and he thought he would be a nice guy. Yesterday, he uncovered the pool and intended to have it "ready" for me when I get home. Well, it was green, so he told me he dumped 12 lbs of "shock" as he called it in my pool, kicked on the pump and turned the SWG to superchlorinate.

I figured I would run through the SLAM process in a couple of weeks when I officially open the pool... I know he was trying to be helpful and I appreciate that... but... now what should I do? I am getting home this afternoon and going to take a look at what all he has done. Would I be okay to take readings, get everything balanced (PH & TA) and then try to start the SLAM now? I was already antsy to get back home... now I am more than ever.

Relax....breath in...breath out... Dad is a champ for making the effort. Please thank him and don't mention that you'd have done it differently.

Then just test everything and determine where you are. You may need to drain some water depending on how much the "shock" added in cya or calcium. Until you have a full set of test results we won't know. Use PoolMath to help you.

You do have one of the suggested test kits, right??

Yippee :flower:

He is retired and I KNOW he had my best interest in mind... But I literally found myself shaking I was so anxious when he told me on the phone yesterday. It's all good... I'm sure its all fixable... (keep telling myself that! ha)

Joe, he went to wally world and grabbed 2 boxes of the powdered stuff. Think thats why he was able to know exactly how much he added. Said he talked to someone there.

Yippie, yep... I have a good kit. I need to dig it out of the garage when I get home. I got one last year when I first bought the house... and was dealing with a swamp then! ha.

Relax....breath in...breath out... Dad is a champ for making the effort. Please thank him and don't mention that you'd have done it differently.

Then just test everything and determine where you are. You may need to drain some water depending on how much the "shock" added in cya or calcium. Until you have a full set of test results we won't know. Use PoolMath to help you.

You do have one of the suggested test kits, right??

Yippee :flower:

What Yip wrote and add in a "Well bless his heart!" from me!!

You can fix it! Just run a set of tests and go from there. It COULD be worse! He could have dumped copper algaecide in it!!!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Joe, he went to wally world and grabbed 2 boxes of the powdered stuff. Think thats why he was able to know exactly how much he added. Said he talked to someone there.

Frequently the boxes at Wal-Mary are CalHypo so there's a chance little harm has been done.

So I just got home (havent even unloaded my bags)... I dug around in the recycling bin... he used "pool essentials" with trichlor. He added tweleve 1 lb bags. I looked all over creation for my TF-100... I can't find it. I walked straight into the backyard and see my pool running with an odd foam/scum on top. Not gonna lie... having a mild panic attack.

I am going to order a new TFT kit (and I'm sure once I get my shipping notice, I will find the old one) but for the meantime, I may just take a sample up to the pool store. I am going to unload my bags, drink a beer and let my pops know I am home safe.

Kim, we are very much a southern family... and I can hear my grandma saying "bless his heart" in my head right now... haha...

TD, you can get a "baby" test kit from Walmart to hold you until your grown up kit gets there. It is the hth 6 way test. The only bad thing about it is the FC test only goes to 4 or 5 :( It does have the CYA test though. I would do a search on YOUR Walmart to make sure they have it in stock unless you are heading there any way.

Run your pump and filter and BRUSH the pool to make sure none of the powder is not sitting on the floor of the pool.

You can pull a t-shirt over your net and skim off the foam/scum.

Got to love us Southern Ladies! :hug:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to check a few more places before I go and order another kit.

I am going to backwash and continue to run the filter. The foam is kinda nasty... I never saw this on my pool last year!? Gonna brush after the gunk is cleaned off.

Welp, I took a look everywhere I could think... and no such luck on the tft kit. lame... So I am gonna order a new one and make sure it stays with all the other supplies in the pool supplies cabinet... (novel concept right?!)

I did find the kit that conveyed with the house/pool... it is one of those 5 way kits. PH was below 6.8, FC was around 1, TA was 30... I obviously have some work to do. I think I am going to continue to filter until the TFT kit comes.

What is the cause of that white/tan colored foam/slime?

I have to wonder if Dad (bless his heart) added something else like algaecide???

TD did you look inside a cabinet inside the house-you know a cool, dark place? Landry room? Kitchen (where mine is)?

Get that PH up asap and start on the TA as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.