Return line bubbles only when solar system is on

Aug 29, 2016
Rose Hill, KS
When my solar panel are on I have a large amount of bubbles coming from my return lines. The vacuum breaker is chattering allowing air to enter the system. My filter is clean and indicating 10 psi at 2200 RPM with solar off. With solar on it's indicating 12 psi.
Is there a set PSI that the vacuum breaker should stay closed?

If I select 3100 RPM to prime the panels the bubbles go away. I can't turn my pump below 2800 RPM or the vacuum breaker will start chattering again. I've read on the forum that multiple people are able to run their solar panels at 2000 - 2200 RPM with no issues.

I have 7 panels mounted to my single story home directly above the pump pad.

Is the vacuum breaker going bad or do I just need a higher RPM for it to function properly?

I moved the VRV to the lower head and can run the pump at about 2350 RPM before the valve begins chattering slightly.
The valve has been installed for about 7 years and could be on its last leg.
Are there any disadvantages to having the VRV on the lower head? I live near Tampa, FL so freezing isn't an issue.

Pooldv thank you for the recommendation. Quick fix and it worked.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that prior to this post I've been turning my three way valve to far and when I thought I was using solar, I actually wasn't. This is why I didn't notice all the air being induced into the system until today when I actually had the valve selected correct for solar.

Now I can get the benefit of solar heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.