Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace seals on a Jandy ball valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace seals on a Jandy ball valve?

Just bought a house with a pool. My first. Thanks to everyone here who has helped so much already! I'd be lost w/o TFP! The suction side of my pump is fed by a 3-port diverter fed by three 2" pipes. (Spa, Skimmers & Main, L to R) Each has a ball valve. The pool is fairly old and wasn't maintained very well for several years. The diverter works well and appears to be in good shape. The ball valves, however, don't seem to work at all. I can close all three and the there's still plenty of water going through the pump. My goal is to close the main drain, at least partially, to get more skimmer action. I've opened and cleaned the valves and verified that nothing inside is broken. They definitely close when I turn the handle. There's a seal below the ball that I'm thinking I might try to replace, but I can't find parts for these valves. Is it worth trying to repair them, or should I just replace? Any advice is appreciated. There's a picture below. It's not great, but it gets the point across... And yes, I've cleaned up the pad area since I took this shot
    SuctionSide.JPG
    34k gallon, 3' - 8' deep, 45' x 25' plaster free-form, in-ground spa, Hayward MaxFlo VS, Sta-Rite System 3 S8M-150, Pureline PL7703 SWG, Dual 1HP Pentair spa booster pumps, Hayward H400FDN, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Dolphin Quantum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace seals on a Jandy ball valve?

They are definitely designed to be repaired. First, try some silicon o-ring lube to see if that solves the problem. You can buy repair parts at Inyo Pools.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

34k gallon, 3' - 8' deep, 45' x 25' plaster free-form, in-ground spa, Hayward MaxFlo VS, Sta-Rite System 3 S8M-150, Pureline PL7703 SWG, Dual 1HP Pentair spa booster pumps, Hayward H400FDN, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Dolphin Quantum

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, so what I thought were Jandy valves are not. I think they may have been manufactured by Flo Control? The only ID on the is "Flo - Burbank CA" stamped on the side. Anyone know where I might find parts? Linked pic below. Thanks!

Shared album - Jack Netter - Google Photos

5. Back To Top    #5

No, those are ball valves and are not repairable. Cut them out and replace them with Jandy or Pentair valves so that in the future you can repair them and not have to replace them. I was looking at that Jandy valve you have under the actuator in front of the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

1.5 PVC Single Union | NDS, this is the company that bought Flo-Control

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what I'll do. Thanks, everyone.