Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge Filter cleaning frequency?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge Filter cleaning frequency?

I know they say to clean this sort of filter 1-2 times a year. I also hear many people clean before the start of pool season. I've had my pool for about 9 months now and I cleaned the filters (4 cartridges) in October. I'm not noticing anything strange and the pressure on my filter has remained steady. So I guess the question is do I wait for the pressure to increase or preemptive strike it before dead on summer.

Thanks.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge Filter cleaning frequency?

If you haven't noticed any PSI rise by now, then there is really no reason to clean the filters. However, I would probably not go much more than a year between cleanings. My PSI barely moves in a year's time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I clean mine in spring and fall after the trees get finished doing their thing. So all that junk isn't sitting in the filter all summer/winter. It's about time for me to go do the spring clean. When you decide to get new cartridges get Pleatco filters. They are better, faster to clean, cheaper, last longer, have better flow and on and on. I used to have to clean my OEM cartridges 2 or 3 times in spring and fall, Pleatcos are once each.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I just cleaned my Pleatco filters. Pressure started to creep above 20 PSI. My pool is surrounded by trees, which are dropping debris constantly. They were completely full. Easy to clean, but messy job. I will probably clean again before Memorial Day.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you have a skimmer basket, you might want to try a skimmer sock or disposable hairnet over it. A number of us use them and it sure cuts down on cartridge filter cleaning frequency. You have to check the skimmer more often, but that's a small price to pay, in my opinion anyway.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

I do have the hairnets but have been hesitant to use them cause I worry about clogging the basket. Maybe I'll give them a try for a week to see how it goes.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I check mine everyday as part of my morning walkaround. Some days it's got stuff, some days it doesn't. In my case it depends on the direction of the wind.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I clean mine in spring and fall after the trees get finished doing their thing. So all that junk isn't sitting in the filter all summer/winter. It's about time for me to go do the spring clean. When you decide to get new cartridges get Pleatco filters. They are better, faster to clean, cheaper, last longer, have better flow and on and on. I used to have to clean my OEM cartridges 2 or 3 times in spring and fall, Pleatcos are once each.
    I'm going to replace my filters (4 years old) in the next few weeks after I empty the pool and put in fresh water. I ordered 4 cartridge filters from Amazon, they are Hayward sold by Pleatco. I bought from one of the other sellers, Pool Supply Warehouse for a lower price. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER I was thinking of returning them only because the ones pictured showed them having 4 straps and the ones the seller (pool supply warehouse) sent have 3. I was wondering does the extra strap make a difference? Are the Pleatco cartridge filters better then Hayward? Just wondering if it's worth the trouble sending them back and reordering. TIA
    Inground SWP, 10,000 gals., Pebble Sheen, Hayward pump cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG, year installed 2011