Help me improve my heater plumbing

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Hello-

I need to update the 1-1/2 PVC 80 nipples coming out of my heater. The connection between the nipples and the schedule 40 pipe leaks. Looking at the picture, any thoughts on improving this? For the pipe closest to the camera, I was going to add two 90-degree elbow to make things "cleaner" and the flex pipe isn't at a wierd angle. For the pipe firthest from the camera only thing I can do is extend it a bit (2") so it clears the other pipe better.

Thoughts?

TIA,
Kevin

[attachment=0:2lqvy46v]heater.jpg[/attachment:2lqvy46v]

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 180
The short pipes coming out of the heater should be CPVC, which deals with high temperatures better. From the photos it looks like the current ones are CPVC.

Your plan sound good.

Instead of two 90s, you could use a 90 and a 45. It is only a tiny water flow improvement, but it isn't any extra work or cost.

I would get rid of the flex between the heater(output?) and the SWG. You could (from the looks of the picture) make it work with two 45's or two 90's. The other, shorter piece of flex looks fine but you could also replace that with a 90 or 2 45's. Then again, maybe I misread your post and that is exactly what you're going to do :hammer: (sounded to me like you planned to leave the one going to the SWG alone except extend it?).

Adam

launboy said:
I would get rid of the flex between the heater(output?) and the SWG. You could (from the looks of the picture) make it work with two 45's or two 90's. The other, shorter piece of flex looks fine but you could also replace that with a 90 or 2 45's. Then again, maybe I misread your post and that is exactly what you're going to do :hammer: (sounded to me like you planned to leave the one going to the SWG alone except extend it?).

Adam

Yeah, that was sort of what I was thinking. I thought the flex pipe would save some pressure loss due to less 45/90's....but now that I think of it adding a few 90's probably won't make a difference.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.