Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me improve my heater plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Help me improve my heater plumbing

Hello-

I need to update the 1-1/2 PVC 80 nipples coming out of my heater. The connection between the nipples and the schedule 40 pipe leaks. Looking at the picture, any thoughts on improving this? For the pipe closest to the camera, I was going to add two 90-degree elbow to make things "cleaner" and the flex pipe isn't at a wierd angle. For the pipe firthest from the camera only thing I can do is extend it a bit (2") so it clears the other pipe better.

Thoughts?

TIA,
    Kevin

[attachment=0:2lqvy46v]heater.jpg[/attachment:2lqvy46v]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x32 Concrete IG, 20+ years old and going strong
    Equipment: DE Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Solar Panels, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite SWG
    Automation: Pentair Suntouch controller w/solar valve
    Cleaners: Polaris 280 (replaced an Aquabot)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me improve my heater plumbing

The short pipes coming out of the heater should be CPVC, which deals with high temperatures better. From the photos it looks like the current ones are CPVC.

Your plan sound good.

Instead of two 90s, you could use a 90 and a 45. It is only a tiny water flow improvement, but it isn't any extra work or cost.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would get rid of the flex between the heater(output?) and the SWG. You could (from the looks of the picture) make it work with two 45's or two 90's. The other, shorter piece of flex looks fine but you could also replace that with a 90 or 2 45's. Then again, maybe I misread your post and that is exactly what you're going to do (sounded to me like you planned to leave the one going to the SWG alone except extend it?).

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by launboy
    I would get rid of the flex between the heater(output?) and the SWG. You could (from the looks of the picture) make it work with two 45's or two 90's. The other, shorter piece of flex looks fine but you could also replace that with a 90 or 2 45's. Then again, maybe I misread your post and that is exactly what you're going to do (sounded to me like you planned to leave the one going to the SWG alone except extend it?).

Adam
    Yeah, that was sort of what I was thinking. I thought the flex pipe would save some pressure loss due to less 45/90's....but now that I think of it adding a few 90's probably won't make a difference.

Thanks
    16x32 Concrete IG, 20+ years old and going strong
    Equipment: DE Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Solar Panels, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite SWG
    Automation: Pentair Suntouch controller w/solar valve
    Cleaners: Polaris 280 (replaced an Aquabot)