Am I in the right place?

Mattsway

Bronze Supporter
Apr 10, 2017
Sussex UK
Hi. I am brand new and in need of your help! We recently installed a small (10125L / 2674 US gallons) hydrotherapy pool (32 deg C/89.6 deg f) for my severely disabled son in a log cabin in the garden to help ease the pain in his legs from cerebral palsy and sitting in a wheelchair all day.
The builders left chlorine tablets and pH up and down granules, plus test strips. They said that as the pool was indoors, I only had to worry about free chlorine and pH. Is this correct? Should I invest in a proper testing kit. We do have a UV light in the system. Many thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome!
They said that as the pool was indoors, I only had to worry about free chlorine and pH. Is this correct?
Not really true. You'll still need to monitor and manage all the other chemicals as they impact either the water comfort and/or health of your equipment/plaster as applicable. Being indoors, having the UV to oxidize CC (combined chlorine) is good. But you'll also need to monitor CYA. While it won't be nearly as high as an outdoor pool, you'll still need some CYA (conditioner/stabilizer) to serve as a buffer from the effects of chlorine. If your pool is plaster, then CH will need to be monitored, and of course TA for alkalinity.

Should I invest in a proper testing kit.
Absolutely! We here at TFP recommend either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Those will be sure to give you accurate results. The only issue I don't' recall is which one you can have sent to you across the pond. Hopefully others will reply with that info, or I'll check back and get it for you. Stick around and watch your thread for more updates. Great to have you join us!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.