Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I in the right place?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I in the right place?

Hi. I am brand new and in need of your help! We recently installed a small (10125L / 2674 US gallons) hydrotherapy pool (32 deg C/89.6 deg f) for my severely disabled son in a log cabin in the garden to help ease the pain in his legs from cerebral palsy and sitting in a wheelchair all day.
    The builders left chlorine tablets and pH up and down granules, plus test strips. They said that as the pool was indoors, I only had to worry about free chlorine and pH. Is this correct? Should I invest in a proper testing kit. We do have a UV light in the system. Many thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I in the right place?

Hello and welcome!
    They said that as the pool was indoors, I only had to worry about free chlorine and pH. Is this correct?
    Not really true. You'll still need to monitor and manage all the other chemicals as they impact either the water comfort and/or health of your equipment/plaster as applicable. Being indoors, having the UV to oxidize CC (combined chlorine) is good. But you'll also need to monitor CYA. While it won't be nearly as high as an outdoor pool, you'll still need some CYA (conditioner/stabilizer) to serve as a buffer from the effects of chlorine. If your pool is plaster, then CH will need to be monitored, and of course TA for alkalinity.

Should I invest in a proper testing kit.
    Absolutely! We here at TFP recommend either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Those will be sure to give you accurate results. The only issue I don't' recall is which one you can have sent to you across the pond. Hopefully others will reply with that info, or I'll check back and get it for you. Stick around and watch your thread for more updates. Great to have you join us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The best thing you can do is start with Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

TFP is about empowering home owners to take care of their own pools through the knowledge we have here. Understanding those basics is important. It's a lot to take in at first but check out more articles in Pool School - Pool School and ask questions!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the warm welcomes and good info. There's a thread just ahead of me in which a Brit bought a Taylor kit, so I'll go back there for the link and get stuck into Pool School.

5. Back To Top    #5

So I reckon the UK import duty and vat on the Taylor K2006C, currently $139.99 from poolvacparts;

Taylor FAS DPD Test Kit Chlorine - SERVICE SIZE K-2006C $139.99

Should work out to be 37, making a total of 176.20. Can anyone confirm this from experience?

The smaller kit, K2006 is available on Amazon here for 101.51 + 27.95 shipping;

Taylor K2006 Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006: Amazon.co.uk: Garden Outdoors
    In ground hydrotherapy pool in wooden cabin. Oil heater for water temp 89f. Poly Bloc construction using high temp liner. 9'9" square x 3'8" deep, 2700 gallons. Hayward MaxFlo XL pump, model SP2310XE161 0.97hp. Waterco Multicyclone 12 Plus Centrifugal Filter, guage reads 16psi. Certikin Skimmer with floating collar Weir. Spectrum UV light, Calorex 33 dehumidifier and 2 radiators in cabin. Taylor K2006C test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thumbs up for the K2006C from Poolvacparts.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

The 2006C is almost 3 times the test reagents. I easily say save money and buy the 2006C
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825