Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: robotic warranty experience and thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

robotic warranty experience and thoughts

Hello all, I have been researching the robotic cleaners. My Kreepy Krauler is about shot (going on 8 yrs). Hopefully the booster pump will kick on this Tuesday on opening day. Over the winter I replaced the pump with an intelli flo.

couple of questions regarding warranties on the robotic cleaners. Our PS sells the S200 S300 etc... However, the S200 is 999 which seem really high. They also do the warranty work in-house but said they will not do the warranty work for same items purchased online. Another local place sells the Dolphin 20 for 899 and the s300 for 1199 etc. However, they do not provide the warranty work if it breaks. Obviously there are online options as well.

My question, how concerned should one be about warranty work if there is no local warranty place? seems like a PITA to send the unit back for repairs etc... Anybody experience warranty work? I am leaning towards the doheny discover but not sure again where to send it for repairs.

I do plan on calling maytronics tomorrow but thought I would ask those with experience.

thanks
    17k gallons, IG pebble, cartridge; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: robotic warranty experience and thoughts

I have recently purchased the Doheny Discovery robot. Maytronics covers the warranty. Since your local pool store sells the Maytronics brand but not the Doheny, I wonder if they wouldn't service it? Its the same robot actually as the S200
    Doheny's Discovery Powered by Dolphin | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Also when you shop online, make sure you use a credit card like AMEX that provides extra time for warranties. The Doheny Discovery comes with 2 years but my AMEX extends it to 3 years coverage.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Its a pain to send it in for service. Heck dropping it off can be a pain depending on the hours of the place, but sending it in you need to find a box assuming you didn't keep the original and then there is the cost. I shipped one once before finding a place that could service mine locally and it cost almost 50 dollars to ship it.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I have recently purchased the Doheny Discovery robot. Maytronics covers the warranty. Since your local pool store sells the Maytronics brand but not the Doheny, I wonder if they wouldn't service it? Its the same robot actually as the S200
    Doheny's Discovery Powered by Dolphin | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Also when you shop online, make sure you use a credit card like AMEX that provides extra time for warranties. The Doheny Discovery comes with 2 years but my AMEX extends it to 3 years coverage.

Yippee
    Credit cards extend the warranty protection whether purchased online or at a local store. Always use plastic.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

5. Back To Top    #5

Never needed work on my Dolphin M5, so not sure. Shipping one of these off will be very expensive, but overall, they are pretty reliable based on my experience and everything I've read here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

My Doheny's Discovery broke and I called the first 3 places that showed up on the service locator on the website. The first one was closed for the week of thanksgiving, the second said they only service what they sell and the third said they would be happy to repair it. They fixed it at no charge in a few a days.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Recently purchased S200 from local pool store. I negotiated the price down to $749. They are a certified Maytronics repair facility. Do your homework and use online prices to negotiate on S200. Most will work with you.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good effort on buying local. I should have tried harder.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks everyone. I talked to Maytronics and they provided the names of 2 other local stores. Interestingly because neither appeared on their distributor. Maytronics said owners should be able to go into any authorized repair facility for warranty work regardless of which "label" you purchased. that said, it clearly sounded that it would be easier if purchased from the same store. I contacted one of the other locations and they had no issues repairing under the warranty. In addition, they were willing to work on the price. Looks like an s300 may be making its way back to a new home for just at or under 900 + tax. I wanted the s200 plus caddy (they do not carry it). pricing is fairly close to the Doheny version.

thanks everyone.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    thanks everyone. I talked to Maytronics and they provided the names of 2 other local stores. Interestingly because neither appeared on their distributor. Maytronics said owners should be able to go into any authorized repair facility for warranty work regardless of which "label" you purchased. that said, it clearly sounded that it would be easier if purchased from the same store. I contacted one of the other locations and they had no issues repairing under the warranty. In addition, they were willing to work on the price. Looks like an s300 may be making its way back to a new home for just at or under 900 + tax. I wanted the s200 plus caddy (they do not carry it). pricing is fairly close to the Doheny version.

thanks everyone.
    That's a great price!! I paid $1250 + tax for my S300i (with caddy). You're going to love the S200 for sure.

As for warranty, I'm glad I went local. Not only am I supporting a local business (always a good thing to do) but it's peace-of-mind to know I can just drive the unit 3 miles away from my house to a shop that can service them and will do so without question.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post

Good effort on buying local. I should have tried harder.
    Lol.....but you bought your Discovery for $100 less. I should have listened to you and not procrastinated.

12. Back To Top    #12

picked up the s300. quick question for folks. how does the weekly timer work. do you have to leave the cleaner in the pool and if not, how do you know when it will run if it is sitting on the stand? Note, i have yet to play with it but the directions were fairly silent. thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

My last purchase was a Dolphin Premier. The design clearly was evolving to a more modular model......one that could be DIYed for repair in many cases.

That would be an important aspect of a robot choice......one where I might be able to keep it running without the enormous shipping difficulties of sending the robot in for repair.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    picked up the s300. quick question for folks. how does the weekly timer work. do you have to leave the cleaner in the pool and if not, how do you know when it will run if it is sitting on the stand? Note, i have yet to play with it but the directions were fairly silent. thanks.
    You leave it in the pool if you want to use the weekly timer.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

You know in today's autopilot world, are we far from a robot the will exit the pool when finished and dock himself at the caddy?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Right, like roomba!

I took my S200/Doheny's Discovery apart somewhat to troubleshoot it before taking it in for repair and it is very modular and easy to take apart. It will be easy to swap parts to make repairs once the warranty ends.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

robotic warranty experience and thoughts

The really interesting part was the guy at the shop I bought it from had a hand held diagnostic wand from Maytronics, about the size of a standard eyeglass case, that determines where the problem is. Most of these robots have only three major components - the power supply/controller, the power cable and the motor/pump. All he had to do with "the wand" was touch each part and a red/green light tells him if it's good or not. The parts are all replaced as monolithic blocks so if the tester says the cable is bad, he just puts on a new cable on.

I like the S series because all they have is one single pump to drive the entire unit and it uses water jets from three ports to create turns while water pressure is used to run the brushes and tracks. So there's no direct drive to the tracks or multiple motors trying to execute a tight turn, just a high head water pump to create all the necessary forces to drive the unit. It's pretty slick!

Matt

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

That wand thing is way cool, something out of Star Wars! How is the water directed to each port? Your saying theres no motor driving the treads?

+1 on using a credit card. Amex adds a year, and Capital One two years. But someone said on another thread Amex is easier to work with.
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

19. Back To Top    #19

Am in the market for a Polaris F9650iq 4WD mode, however they donít provide any warranty if shipped from any pool store. Wondered how reliable they are?

My Dolphin, while it runs and has no mechanic issues, has a 3 yr warranty (1 yr left), but spends more time on drains than cleaning, defeating the purpose. It was my first robot so I didnít have enough experience to know what I wanted or needed.

I just need something without treads and center brush, and would prefer WiFi connectivity for remote scheduling during travel.

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by miles267 View Post
    Am in the market for a Polaris F9650iq 4WD mode, however they don’t provide any warranty if shipped from any pool store. Wondered how reliable they are?

My Dolphin, while it runs and has no mechanic issues, has a 3 yr warranty (1 yr left), but spends more time on drains than cleaning, defeating the purpose. It was my first robot so I didn’t have enough experience to know what I wanted or needed.

I just need something without treads and center brush, and would prefer WiFi connectivity for remote scheduling during travel.
    Are you near a Leslies? The P965IQ is the same identical model, just in different color, White & Silver. If you buy from them direct, you will get the warranty.

I wouldn't buy one without a warranty and wouldn't buy any pool cleaner without one, too much $ to risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast