Re: Fitting and gluing Flex PVC

verun

Jun 18, 2009

Hello,

I am trying to rebuild three pieces that connect to the filter, pump, and multi-port valve for my in ground pool. Instead of using rigid PVC like the original pieces do I am going to use Flex-PVC. When I bought the new fittings the store gave me a piece of 1.5" Flex-PVC to use but this is hard to fit into the new fittings. No matter how hard I push I cannot get it to the bottom of the fitting, the lip. Should I get 1.25" Flex-PVC instead?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_s_Z2Q9hKAgQ/SjpH-8wVoQI/AAAAAAAAALo/0r4j1XOuPNo/s1600-h/IMG_2845.JPG
IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

You can start getting it into the fitting correct?

If so, once you prime it and apply the glue, the glue should act as a lubricant and allow you to ram it all the way in there, just be prepared to push hard and give it a twist immediately after putting the glue on, that stuff bonds fast :)

NO PVC pipe (flex of rigid) goes all the way to the bottom of the fittings in most cases. If you are getting it in about halfway (which is average) then you are good to go. Remember to use cleaner, primer, AND glue so you geta good solvent bond in addition to the chemical bond!

waterbear said:
NO PVC pipe (flex of rigid) goes all the way to the bottom of the fittings in most cases. If you are getting it in about halfway (which is average) then you are good to go.

Wait, what? Are you talking when dry fitting or actually gluing? EVERY joint I've glued has gone into the fitting until it bottoms out once primer and glue are applied. When dry fitting though, you are correct, most times they only go in about half way.

HTH,
Adam

PVC fittings have to bottom out. It will when you have glue on it. i've put in miles and miles of PVC in my life, professionally. It has to bottom out into the fitting or the joint wont be correct. Make sure the ends of the pipe are free of burs after you cut it. /when you have primer and glue on it, it will slide on easy. Like the above poster said, slide it on, give it a twist, and hld it for about 5 seconds, your good to go.

While I can't claim to speak for Waterbear, I'm pretty sure he was talking about 'dry - fitting' the pipe.

Even if it was wet fitting it, you only need a small circle of 'full seal' on a fitting to 'fully seal it' - follow the directions on the can on application and drying time and all should be good 8)

(I realize that some will chime in on what I just said, but I'm armed and ready... :-D )

waste said:
While I can't claim to speak for Waterbear, I'm pretty sure he was talking about 'dry - fitting' the pipe.

Even if it was wet fitting it, you only need a small circle of 'full seal' on a fitting to 'fully seal it' - follow the directions on the can on application and drying time and all should be good 8)

(I realize that some will chime in on what I just said, but I'm armed and ready... :-D )
I was. I assumed that you were doing the 'dry run" and not the final gluing since you talked about replacing the 1.5" with 1.25" pipe. Also, I agree with Waste on this one! I probably have not done as much PVC plumbing as he has but I have done my share! Sometimes, even with cleaner, primer,and glue you cannot get a pipe to 'bottom out' in a fitting. It does not mean you will not end up with a good solvent and mechanical bond if you have done it right.

waterbear said:
Sometimes, even with cleaner, primer,and glue you cannot get a pipe to 'bottom out' in a fitting. It does not mean you will not end up with a good solvent and mechanical bond if you have done it right.

This is very true and I know it all to well. Believe it or not, I actually have unglued fittings in my pool plumbing. :shock:
The very first bit of PVC work I did on the pool was a diverter for the(at the time) single 2x20 solar panel. I bought the wrong glue. It was actually blue pipe dope for threaded nat. gas connections. :hammer: I didn't realize my mistake until about 3 days later when the diverter blew apart at one of the connections. I pulled the pieces I could get apart apart and glued them right, but 3 of the connections were just too tight and to this day, 3 summers later haven't leaked a drop.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.