Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Protect Coverstar auto cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Protect Coverstar auto cover

We have had our first winter with the pool closed, and the vinyl auto cover held up to the elements just fine. At install, the builder said the cover should last ten to fifteen years. I'd be super happy if I could push that out farther.

Coverstar literature says to put nothing on it to treat the vinyl. I asked the builder what do we do in the real world? He said Aerospace 303 protectant.

So... what does the TFP community say?

Obviously the cover spools up and the wet underside touches the treated topside, then rolls back out again so there could be some contamination in the water. I would make sure that any application would be completely dry before opening the cover.

Amazon has a quart squirt bottle for $20, and a gallon jug for $50. I would go with the gallon and transfer it to a pump sprayer to be able to reach out to the center of the pool. Anybody doing this, and seen a better deal?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Protect Coverstar auto cover

Skippy just uses a little car wash cleaner and a big push broom to scrub the cover with and then rinses it well.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

IIRC I used dish detergent and a brush on a handle to scrub it after two or three years. Then applied that Aerospace 303 protectant - good stuff. I will do it again this year. One gallon will cover 2 or 3 applications. Yeah, just let it dry then the extent that it transfers to the water will be completely inconsequential in relation to your water volume. I paid right around that.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, guys!
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The longest we have seen for life is 9 years. That was a light gray color
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    The longest we have seen for life is 9 years. That was a light gray color
    What preventative steps have you tried to protect and prolong them?