Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Has Two pumps. Want to run just one!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Has Two pumps. Want to run just one!

hello.
    Ive got two pumps in my pool. It looks like one runs the water fall feature and the in floor cleaner. The other pump runs the pool circulation/filter. Can the Hayward Ecostar Sp3400 pump run the whole Pool? Im trying to save on running two pumps. Also I'm considering not even using the in floor cleaner and just using Standard pool cleaner. IMG_6417.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Has Two pumps. Want to run just one!

Since a waterfall doesn't need to be running all the time, I see no reason why the pump at the top of your pic in black can't be plumbed with a valve to switch from water fall on/off and adjust as you need, when you need it. Removing the dedicated pump for cleaning and replacing with automated items (i.e. robot/dolphin, etc) is certainly an option.

Another option, perhaps later and/or if funds permits, is a variable speed pump that if correctly sized, could probably be programmed to handle all of those scenarios. So I suspect you have a couple good options there.

Have a good day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ditch the in-floor system and purchase a robot. Your electricity bill will come wa-a-a-y down. Run the waterfall when desired.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for replying.
    The pump is a variable speed pump. It's a Hayward sp3400vsp. I'm also thinking I'm going to need some form of pool automation like Hayward pro logic or similarly unit to allow the pump to perform all those task. Or maybe the control panel off the pump would be able to be programmed to do it ?

Duraleigh
    advise may be the best option. Robot for floor cleaning and Hayward sp3400vsp for filter and skimmer.
    granted I would like to clean up the piping and remove the booster pump from the equation.
    I need to start studying pool plumbing to take the job myself.