Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any major disadvantages to operating Polaris 280 without sweeper hose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any major disadvantages to operating Polaris 280 without sweeper hose?

Our Polaris sweeper hose clamp wore out a couple seasons ago and hose kept falling off. Instead of replacing it, we have been operating it without the sweeper hose attached. It seems to perform properly without it and does a good job picking up leaves and debris off the bottom. Is there any major disadvantage to operating the cleaner without the sweeper hose? Do you recommend replacing the clamp and/or hose? Does it really add much benefit? We were getting tired of purchasing the high-priced tail scrubbers at the pool store and also the tail squirting water out of the pool, but now that we discovered lower-priced replacement parts on Amazon (YAY! ), and also joining TFP and finding solutions to the water squirting, we will probably consider using it again. Just want your opinions on if it's really necessary or not. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
    Trish
    In-ground, free-form gunite pool built in 2007, 10-15,000 gal. (not quite sure), plaster finish. In-ground hot tub with overflow into pool. Jandy CL340 cartridge filter with Stealth pump, Jandy gas heater, Pentair 320 in-line chlorinator, Polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any major disadvantages to operating Polaris 280 without sweeper hose?

My Jack Russell terrier likes to snatch the foam filters off the tail of mine. I buy them in bulk from Amazon so that is fine now. Near as I can tell, the main function of the hose is to aerate the fine silt off the bottom so that the main filter can trap it. When my hose clamp wore out, I replaced it with a stainless steel version meant for automotive hoses. It has been fine ever since.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The sweeper is a key difference in philosophy between robots and pressure or suction vacs. The sweeper makes the debris float to hopefully get into the filter. Robots contain filters and sweep up the dirt with their brushes.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for the info!