Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the Northeast open yet?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone in the Northeast open yet?

My pool is scheduled to open on 4/20. However, with temps in the mid 60s today, and in the 70s and 80s over the next few days, I am thinking of pushing ahead my opening to this week. As of today my water is crystal clear when I peek through the mesh cover. I would like to open to that. Not sure what the temp though.
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone in the Northeast open yet?

Yes. I am in Northeast PA and pool was opened by me this weekend. Let the solar cover do its magic for the next month . The water is freeeeezing
    Opened crystal clear as well so I wanted to keep it that way.
    IG Pool
    ~21000 gallons
    Vinyl liner
    Sand Filter
    12 hours a day Full Sun

3. Back To Top    #3

Open your pools before the water gets to 60. Or pour in some bleach and mix it around to maintain FC level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

We are still in the build process but had water put in last fall and a cover put on. The cover comes off today, concrete decking poured tomorrow and equipment will be wired up by Friday. If the weather looks decent in the next week or so, I'll fire up the heater so the kids can get their first swims in.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

Opened last week to crystal clear water here in Baltimore. Water temp was 57 yesterday. Suspect that to creep into the 60's with the warm weather this week.

6. Back To Top    #6

Southern New Jersey - April 29th!
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

7. Back To Top    #7

Metro west Boston. Cover came off today. Water is 48F. Kids are excited. Before our mesh cover came off, you could see the screw heads on our main drain cover. Now, after brushing and running the Polaris it's pretty hazy. Hopefully it will clear in a day or so of running the filter, Polaris, and brushing. I'm surprised at how high my pH was. Off the scale. Acid demand didn't seem to make a change after 20 drops. I just added a gallon of muriatic acid and will check tomorrow. It's our first time opening, so I don't really know what to expect. Hoping to use the spa in the next few days.
    29,000 gallon free form IG plaster finished pool. Pentair VS pump and cartridge filter. IC40 salt system. 400k natural gas heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Upstate, NY. Opened on Monday 4/10. So happy to see the water again!
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Washington DC metro, opened last Friday with a some algae. Luckily, it wasn't too bad and I'm almost finished with my SLAM despite a leak in my DE filter. I would open ASAP!
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Started opening mine today in CT but got distracted and will finish tomorrow.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Thought I had more time till the water got warm but the temp probe I stuck in the pool yesterday says 56. The winter cover seems to make for a very effective solar cover. Water is still crystal clear I'd like to keep it that way.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

12. Back To Top    #12

Opened on Saturday in Central Maryland.
    Gunite 35X15 rectangle w/15X5 tan ledge (giving it an "L" shape) and 6X2 swim out love seat; white marblelite plaster; depth: 3'6-7'6; 24,750 gallons; SWG (Mineral Springs); Pentair C&C 420 w/ VS 3050 pump; 400K Natural Gas heater; coping: 12" PA Full Range Flagstone; 2 Color Change LED Lights; jump rock; 2' exposed backside wall; 700 square feet exposed aggregate decking

13. Back To Top    #13

Is it ok to 'open' your pool but still have the winter cover on until all the pollen is gone? I added my stabilizer and my bleach but put the winter cover on. I'm trying to avoid the pollen that my neighbors tree goes into my pool. I am running the pump a few hours a day. I plan on taking the cover off in May
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

14. Back To Top    #14

By "open" most people are talking about bring the water level back to normal and getting all the circulation equipment going so they can maintain water chemistry. For some that just means opening valves and turning on the pump. For others it mean bringing pumps and plumbing out of the basement or garage and hooking them up again. If you are circulating water and maintaining the chemistry you have "opened" your pool. Keeping the cover on to keep the pollen out won't hurt anything.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

15. Back To Top    #15

Well I did my opening today. Closed following TFP guidelines, and I opened to crystal clear water. Here were my numbers after two hours of running my pump prior to adding anything.

FC: 2.0
    CC: 0.0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 70
    CH: 190
    CYA: 60
    Temp: 47 degrees

I had very little leaves in the pool. The polaris had it looking like it does on any given day in the summer in a couple of short hours. I gave the floor and walls a good brushing. Brought the level up to slam. Once the water warms up more I will switch on the the SWG. I am sure I will need to add some salt prior. I will test for that closer to that time. I'll check in a few hours to make sure my FC is holding. Once the level drifts down I will do a OCLT.

Here is a pic just 3 hours after open.

14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by rmclain73 View Post
    Well I did my opening today. Closed following TFP guidelines, and I opened to crystal clear water. Here were my numbers after two hours of running my pump prior to adding anything.

FC: 2.0
    CC: 0.0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 70
    CH: 190
    CYA: 60
    Temp: 47 degrees

I had very little leaves in the pool. The polaris had it looking like it does on any given day in the summer in a couple of short hours. I gave the floor and walls a good brushing. Brought the level up to slam. Once the water warms up more I will switch on the the SWG. I am sure I will need to add some salt prior. I will test for that closer to that time. I'll check in a few hours to make sure my FC is holding. Once the level drifts down I will do a OCLT.

Here is a pic just 3 hours after open.

Looks great
    I'm thinking about opening this weekend here in South Jersey
    25000 Gallon Pentair Intellichlor SWG Gunnite Pool with Heyward DE Filter/Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K 2006

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm in Massachusetts near the NH border. Stuck a thermometer down about 3 feet and it's reading mid 40's so I will wait till it hits 55 or so. Usually early May that happens for me.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

18. Back To Top    #18

Northern Virginia here and I always open my pool on April 1.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Fully operational in CT today.

Water temp 56 degrees.....
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

I need to open soon. Water about 6" down is high 50s, surface 65. I cracked my multiport and need to re-plumb my entire pad. I'm considering pulling the cover off, dumping in some chlorine and circulating with a small sump pump.

Hoping to have things open and running in a week. In Pittsburgh, PA.
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast