Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling pool after liner replacement.

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling pool after liner replacement.

Replacing liner in 24,000 gallon in ground pool in a few weeks, and I have a question about the refill. Can I refill the entire pool before I start adding chemicals, or is there a certain point when I should start the pump and begin adding chlorine? I have no idea how long the refill will take, but I am guessing at least 30 hours. This will be my 3rd summer with the BBB method, which has worked great, but I don't want to wait until pool is full if there is a chance for algae to get started. I also don't want to be do anything harsh to my new liner by putting chemicals in too early.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling pool after liner replacement.

If your pool gets up to the skimmer in about a day to where you can turn-on the pump, you can just do it then. You won't see an algae outbreak in just one day. If you are really concerned about stagnant water, or the refill takes longer than expected, you can add just a little bleach (1-2 ppm) and brush it around really well if needed. But again, very little because you don't have stabilizer in there yet. Bleach with no stabilizer is more harsh to the pool.

Speaking of CYA ..... use the Poolmath calculator to know in advance how much granular stabilizer you need to add so it's in a sock and ready to soak, then add enough bleach for a day one target of about 2-3 ppm. Once the CYA is all dissolved, adjust FC according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Also check your pH on day 1 and adjust as well, then you're on your way. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

There isnt a lot of risk yet with algae forming quickly at this time of year. Its not like the water temp is 90.

If it worries you, when the pool is 1/2 full, dilute a bit of bleach in a couple of 5 gallon buckets - enough to get you up to 2 ppm, and pour it in slowly all around the perimeter. Then mix it up well with a broom, or if you have a robot, put that in there to mix it up for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by minister1534 View Post
    Replacing liner in 24,000 gallon in ground pool in a few weeks, and I have a question about the refill. Can I refill the entire pool before I start adding chemicals, or is there a certain point when I should start the pump and begin adding chlorine? I have no idea how long the refill will take, but I am guessing at least 30 hours. This will be my 3rd summer with the BBB method, which has worked great, but I don't want to wait until pool is full if there is a chance for algae to get started. I also don't want to be do anything harsh to my new liner by putting chemicals in too early.

Thanks.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    If your pool gets up to the skimmer in about a day to where you can turn-on the pump, you can just do it then. You won't see an algae outbreak in just one day. If you are really concerned about stagnant water, or the refill takes longer than expected, you can add just a little bleach (1-2 ppm) and brush it around really well if needed. But again, very little because you don't have stabilizer in there yet. Bleach with no stabilizer is more harsh to the pool.

Speaking of CYA ..... use the Poolmath calculator to know in advance how much granular stabilizer you need to add so it's in a sock and ready to soak, then add enough bleach for a day one target of about 2-3 ppm. Once the CYA is all dissolved, adjust FC according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Also check your pH on day 1 and adjust as well, then you're on your way. Hope that helps.
    Can I or should I turn on the pump even before it gets to the skimmer, just being sure to keep the skimmer turned off? Letting the bottom drain do the return work, or is that not good for the pump? Maybe when it is 1/2 full?

Thanks for the replies.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the pump stays primed when pulling from the main drain only then it should work just fine. If it looks like the pump strainer pot is filling with air then you will want to wait until the water is high enough in the skimmer. Are you able to shut off the skimmer line? If you don't have a valve to shut off the skimmer then you will be sucking air into the system through the skimmer while the pump is running.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I can shut off the skimmer line.