Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decisions...deciaions "baller on a budget" in North Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Decisions...deciaions "baller on a budget" in North Texas

* Vsp or stealth 2hp
    * 80% quartz or 100% quartz plaster
    * move equipment pad back 16ft or leave as is
    * get outdoor kitchen done by builder or get them to stub in gas outlet and get built upon pool completion by odk vendor
    * extra foot deeper or extra foot longer

Dig 4/12/17, Gunite 4/19/17, Deck Installed 5/2/17, Plaster 6/12/17
    13,000 gallon, 24 x 19 rectangular pool/spa, platinum quartz plaster, travertine deck with raised beam in sloped yard. Polaris 3900 Complete, Jandy vsp 2.7hp, Jandy JX1400 Natural Heater, Jandy PDA PS6 (Pool/Spa), TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Decisions...deciaions "baller on a budget" in North Texas

Nate,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool builders...

I think that building a new pool without a variable speed pump should be illegal...

You can dial in the speed you want for every situation. They are cost efficient and very quiet...

I can't tell where your equipment pad is located???

Now is the time to consider how you plan on chlorinating your pool. It is almost the most important decision you will need to make.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Pad is in upper left corner? Can't really tell. But if it were, you could not move it back 16 feet. If so, it may be the ideal spot. I would get a VSP if you plan on any sort of automation, it will pay for itself vs the alternatives. We had our outdoor kitchen subcontracted by pool builder, it was quality and well integrated. Depends on your PB/subs, tho. Ask for examples of prior work.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Nateb, I am relatively new here, but I concur with Jim, you will definitely benefit from a VS pump. The only way to go.

Regarding 80% vs 100% quartz, I didn't know you could get quartz in varying gradations. What is the price difference?

I can't tell where your equipment pad is, but you would want it out of sight if possible, but also think how that will affect your plumbing runs. Especially head loss to your Spa jets.

Regarding the ODK, as MarkTX, check out your PBs ODK work and if that resonates with you, then go with him/her. Also, it may cost more to have a ODK builder come in and do it after the fact. I would assume your PB could do it at a reduced cost while he's building everything else. But that would be moot, if you aren't impressed by his ODK builds.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Build in Progress - 15k gallons IG gunite, 12x38 rectangle 4-6-4, Raised Spa - 6x6 w/neg. edge & gas fire feature, All Pentair - IntelliFlo VS Pump, 420 Clean & Clear Filter, 400K BTU MasterTemp, IntelliChlor IC40 w/EasyTouch8 Bundle, ScreenLogic2, IntelliChem, 3 GloBrite LED Color Lights in Pool - 1 in Spa, 1 ColorVision LED Bubbler on Ledge, Bellecrete Grey Mod-Edge Pre-cast Coping, QuartzScape Mariner Blue, Sunstone-Lagoon 1x1 Mosaic

5. Back To Top    #5

I recommend finding someone to do your kitchen that is willing to work with your PB. Any plumbing and conduit needs to be considered before the pool deck is installed. Unless you pick a PB that does lots of kitchens.

I see the gas line is not in your bid. I'd get that cost nailed down before agreeing to anything. Our gas run wasn't cheap!

Chris & Lea Stoddard
    20k gal, IG shotcrete/pebble pool/spa combo
    Filled 11/19/2016
    All Jandy: DEV 60, PS Stealth 2 hp 2 spd, LXi (gas) heater, PDA-PS8
    Stenner 45MPHP22 for chlorination

6. Back To Top    #6

The price difference from Riversand Standard Color (current pebbletec selection) is:
    -**********80% Quartz (-$673)

-**********100% Quartz Standard Color (-$372)

- vsp change (+$546.57)

13,000 gallon, 24 x 19 rectangular pool/spa, platinum quartz plaster, travertine deck with raised beam in sloped yard. Polaris 3900 Complete, Jandy vsp 2.7hp, Jandy JX1400 Natural Heater, Jandy PDA PS6 (Pool/Spa), TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, I would make sure to get the electrical runs nailed down too. My pool builder didn't include the electrical runs from the pool lights to the equipment pad in the calculation and I ended up having to come up with $1100 the day before electrical was going to be installed otherwise they weren't coming back. My pool builder included 150' which was the distance from my panel in my house to the pool equipment pad, but adding in the electrical runs for 3 lights, even though the lights came with wire, wasn't included.
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

8. Back To Top    #8

I thought the PDA would have been awesome... turns out, not only is it slow, has cumbersome programming ability but you can't adjust contrast so it is difficult to read. Oh and the blue backlight is worthless. Have your pool builder install the iAquaLink that you can control with your tablet/phone... so worth it, or you will be doing it later for at least $500.

Did i I mention I have a PDA, antenna and control board for sale.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

9. Back To Top    #9

They're digging!!! And the PM advised that the vsp is "tree-huggin hok'em." Electricity is cheap in Texas and most vsp owners tend to turn them up anyways....I'm waffling.

10. Back To Top    #10

No, I usually run at about 1200 rpm using I think 50 watts while I am hugging a tree. VSP yes, ditch the booster pump and polaris and ask for a robot and iAqualink. Does the PM even own a pool ?
    2016 Build: 20x30 15K Gal-IG Gunite, #4 Steel Tanning Ledge, Bubbler, Flagstone Coping, Stamped Concrete Deck, Jump Rock, Rock Waterfall, CLI Majestic Isle Pebble Finish, 3 Multi-Color LED lights, Ozone-DEL Eclipse 10, Empty Inline Tab Feeder, 2 HP Jandy Pro Series ePump with SVRS, 2 Skimmers, 6 Returns, 2 drains, 1 Cleaner Return, Jandy CV Filter 460 SF, Dolphin Nautilus+, iAqualink RS Automation, Borates, Test Kit Taylor k2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Electricity might be cheap, but it isn't free. You will save those $$$ in as little as a year depending on how you run your pump. Even if you ignore the $, the quiet operation is worth the price of admission.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCannonball View Post
    I thought the PDA would have been awesome... turns out, not only is it slow, has cumbersome programming ability but you can't adjust contrast so it is difficult to read. Oh and the blue backlight is worthless. Have your pool builder install the iAquaLink that you can control with your tablet/phone... so worth it, or you will be doing it later for at least $500.

Did i I mention I have a PDA, antenna and control board for sale.
    These guys are "five-hundred dollaring" me to death. To switch out the PDA, $580 more...$500 more for vsp...

13. Back To Top    #13

Ugh, I'm not sure why they push that piece of junk and want to charge more for what amounts to less hardware. Wish I could help more. I ended up buying the iq-20 antenna for $300 and a rev. T CPU for $150 to get away from that thing. Then I look online and find the PDA and antenna sell for $500-600... seems fishy to charge more for the iAquaLink