Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening in about 3-4 weeks

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening in about 3-4 weeks

A big wind storm blew threw Michigan and left me wrestling the cover back on the inground pool. In the process some of the dirty water on top of the cover got into the pool. So now I have a very stinky and discolored pool. I can't tell exactly what shade of brown to green it is right now with the cover on but it stinks. I was wondering if it was worth it to dump some bleach in the pool now before I open it in a couple of weeks?
    Here is the reading I got 55 degrees, FC 0, CC 0, PH 7.0, TA 50, CH 90, CYA 0, Borates 30.
    I have a in-ground pool that is 40,000 gallons. It has a vinyl liner that is two years old. We use a Hayward 300lb sand filter and we just replaced the sand this year (2015). We use liquid chlorine. We also have a heater. It is a lazy L shape. Dolphin Nautilus vacuum. One main drain with 2 skimmers.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Opening in about 3-4 weeks

If it were me. I'd already have it open. The sooner you can get the SLAM going, the sooner you will be done. Waiting even a week is just going to give the algae that much more time to grow.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the algae grow when there is no sunlight? Because I was under the impression that algae couldn't grow when there is no sunlight.
    I have a in-ground pool that is 40,000 gallons. It has a vinyl liner that is two years old. We use a Hayward 300lb sand filter and we just replaced the sand this year (2015). We use liquid chlorine. We also have a heater. It is a lazy L shape. Dolphin Nautilus vacuum. One main drain with 2 skimmers.

4. Back To Top    #4

If your cover is porous, then the water above the cover can have algae growing, then mix with the water under the cover. Winter covers are not by any means "solid". They all will leak water through them eventually.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You can put in some bleach but you need to make sure that you "agitate" the water enough that it doesn't just fall and burn your liner. I would agree with the group and consider just opening the pool now and getting things in order. It is very easy to maintain in low temps. Little bleach and low pump run time requirements this time of year.
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada