Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying To Open....Priming Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying To Open....Priming Question

Trying to open our 2-year old pool for the first time by ourselves. Having trouble with priming the pump. First problem...pump was built too high above the pool (bad contractor).

To today's issue: I have been able to get the main drain line to prime. Just moments ago...I let the pump run for 30 minutes....running fine with only main drain line open (skimmer line closed). Decided to open the skimmer line.....and pump lost its prime in 10 seconds.

Removed the gray winterizing piece from the skimmer yesterday. Water level is way high. Could that be the problem? Was backwashing to lower the level before the prime was lost.

I can call the terrible contractor and get his back out here....but thought I would ask for any advice.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying To Open....Priming Question

Do you have a back flow preventer valve in the line going into the pump to help keep it from losing prime? That may be the easiest solution. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Trying To Open....Priming Question

You want to SLOWLY open the valve to the skimmer to allow it to get the air out while still having plenty of water from main drain
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825