Looking for a liquid chlorine injector for a 2300 gallon pool.

Fungi

May 5, 2015
Central Illinois
Hi folks,

Getting ready to open the pool. I have a very small in ground pool and I have been adding chlorine bleach manually for the few years I've been maintaining the pool. I have read about the "liquidator" but can it be dialed back for my little pool?

Thanks in advance!

poolroom-03.jpg

Thanks,

I went to the Stenner website and found no less than 18 different pumps. It looks like the Econ LD is the only one with a low enough rate to not overdose my pool. It lists .04oz. per hour - 8.1oz. per hour. Or about 1oz. - 194oz. per day. I think I put in about 1.5 cups per day, or less... So you just put a small hose into a gallon of bleach and the other end of the pump a small tube into the skimmer?

Robl45, they put one in when it was installed and it would over chlorinate and error out. They told me it was the smallest one available and took it out. I also hadn't considered backwashing salt water on my hillside full of old growth oak trees.

Actually my chlorine demand is 4 ounces per day, just looked it up. I did some research and found I can get a normal size pump and run it for a short time once a day. If I get a 10gpd pump it will need to run 4.5minutes per day. If I get a 3gpd pump it will need to run 15 minutes. If I did my math right... I looked up the Stenner Pump 45mhp10 and found it for $300. I just need to find a timer that controlls to the minutes. Or build one. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure they make SWG for jacuzzi's and such, I'm sure there is a size that fits. Also a cartridge filter would eliminate the backwashing. I don't have any ideas on a timer that would work in this application. I do remember that my cousins had an indoor pool which is basically what this is and used UV light intead of chlorine, maybe that would work in this case.

Robl45, they put one in when it was installed and it would over chlorinate and error out. They told me it was the smallest one available and took it out. I also hadn't considered backwashing salt water on my hillside full of old growth oak trees.

Actually my chlorine demand is 4 ounces per day, just looked it up. I did some research and found I can get a normal size pump and run it for a short time once a day. If I get a 10gpd pump it will need to run 4.5minutes per day. If I get a 3gpd pump it will need to run 15 minutes. If I did my math right... I looked up the Stenner Pump 45mhp10 and found it for $300. I just need to find a timer that controlls to the minutes. Or build one. Any ideas?

You can't rely on UV alone. It's entirely up to you, but I think trying to automate Chlorine feed in this pool by any means is going to be more trouble than it is worth, and difficult to dial down that far.

Are you gone a lot for extended periods?

Thanks,

I went to the Stenner website and found no less than 18 different pumps. It looks like the Econ LD is the only one with a low enough rate to not overdose my pool. It lists .04oz. per hour - 8.1oz. per hour. Or about 1oz. - 194oz. per day. I think I put in about 1.5 cups per day, or less... So you just put a small hose into a gallon of bleach and the other end of the pump a small tube into the skimmer?

Most of us have a 15 gallon tank for the bleach ( you would not need that big). We then tap a hole in a return pipe at pad to screw in the injector ( comes with Stenner ). You can use a Intermatic timer to control it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
robl45, no thanks to swg. I do have a UV thingy on there due to low UV from sun.

patricknb, that makes no logical sense whatsoever. A timer that can be adjusted accurately to minute intervals are available and there is no reason to think because it's smaller it would be more difficult to control. I usually put in 1.5 cups every third day. It is easy to forget was it two days ago or three... So yeah, I'm happy to just check the chlorine daily and make any small adjustments as needed.

philo, yeah the liquidator is out.

rphpool, thanks that's the direction I was going.

thanks all for the comments. They have helped me immensely.

A nice upgrade for the Stenner timer and less expensive than Intermatic is a WiOn or WeMo plug adapter or switch they are WiFi controlled by a smart phone app and both are extremely programmable pick the day or days of the week and as many run times as you like down to the minute. They also have a count down timer if you want to do a one time addition. I have 2 WiOn's for my Stenners

I'm going into my 5th season with a Liquidator and am very happy with it. I have had no problems with "white stuff" or "salt flakes" clogging my lines. I do think you can make it work with your pool. I recommend that you get a pinch valve to control flow and use a low concentration of chlorine (6 to 8.25%). Dial in the daily dosing using the flow using the pinch valve and length of time that you run the pump.

Check Lockewell.com for Stenner pumps. The most common fixed rate models are 221.00 right now. You don't need an adjustable pump because you can use a timer to run it for the desired number of minutes per day.

Thanks so much GDN. I'm getting the 3gpd one right now. This is quite the surprise!

Atttech-2 interesting concept, but I'm not a smart phone sorta guy. lol Just wait till someone in Russia is adjusting your chlorine levels. ;)

I found this little gem for $4.55. You set the real time, the on time, and the off time, in hours/minutes, done. Minute resolution for a 15 minute process gives me room for adjustment. I've used these type of pc boards from China before. They have all worked well. A good coat of conformal coating and it's ready for outdoors use. :goodjob:

12V Relay Multifunction Cycle Delay Timer Module Switch Real Clock Control Time | eBay

So I received the pump and it was a breeze to get working. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the lid and a tiny hole for ventilation. I pushed the line into a full bottle of bleach and connected the line to the pump. I used a drain port on my old puck feeder to put the injector. Worked perfectly. I ran the pump for about 5 minutes to get the fluid moving, then connected the line to the backflow preventer/injector thingy. Still waiting for the cheap china timer, am currently using a all in one unit. So far working great. I have it set for 15 minutes at 11:00 am. The equivalent of 1/2 cup. The gallon of bleach will last 30 days give or take. :)

pool-equipment-01.jpg

Hi pooldv, Yes it's still early in our season, days are in the 60's so not worrying about bleach storage yet. I plan to make an insulated cover for the bleach to keep it in the shade and allow it to be cooled by the concrete.

Hi GDN, yes it's the best $200 I've spent on the pool lately. lol :) Thank you again for the tip on the great price! I almost plunked down $350 for the same thing. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.