Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about leaves?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do about leaves?

Looking for suggestions on what to do about the leaves that get in my pool. The skimmer is clogged after a week or less. There are just so many leaves that fall in this thing. The robot gets them on the ground, but the pump ends up sucking air after the skimmer gets clogged. I know there are some add on skimmers or something, wondering what is inexpensive that people recommend that work well?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do about leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Looking for suggestions on what to do about the leaves that get in my pool. The skimmer is clogged after a week or less. There are just so many leaves that fall in this thing. The robot gets them on the ground, but the pump ends up sucking air after the skimmer gets clogged. I know there are some add on skimmers or something, wondering what is inexpensive that people recommend that work well?
    Sorry to be blunt, but if you have that much leaf fall regularly, you need to be running skimmers much more often. Either that, do more manual skimming, or eliminate the source.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

1. Buy a leaf net (a big one) and scoop the leaves out of your pool.

2. Clean the skimmers more often
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you guys are missing the point. The skimmer clogs with leaves too quickly. I work during the week and really can't do anything with the pool. By the time the weekend comes, its totally clogged with leaves. Unfortunately, there is no way to eliminate the source short of putting up a screen enclosure.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Chain saw LOL
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

6. Back To Top    #6

Our pool is also surrounded by trees and leaves always fill it up. The best advice I can offer is to purchase a good leaf cover which goes over the entire pool and allows you to remove them all at once.

Leaf Net Cover for a 12' x 20' Rectangle Swimming Pool - PoolSupplies.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you have a bottom drain. We leave ours set for 80% skimmer and 20% drain so the pump always has waterflow. We also run the pump at 1100 rpm so the flow is pretty low but still enough to move leaves into the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Then the leaves clog the bottom drain. I'm thinking of a pool skim or something

9. Back To Top    #9

My friend bought a pool skim, says it works great. Is there anything for less than 100 bucks?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    I think you guys are missing the point. The skimmer clogs with leaves too quickly. I work during the week and really can't do anything with the pool. By the time the weekend comes, its totally clogged with leaves. Unfortunately, there is no way to eliminate the source short of putting up a screen enclosure.
    No, I don't think I did. You said a week or less, which means you sometimes go a week before running skimmers or close to it. That is too long to wait if you have much leaf fall. It doesn't take that long a couple/few times a week. What do you think most people here do all week if not work? We certainly aren't rich, and leaving our pool care to someone else. That is what rich people do.

Maybe hire a pool guy to come by mid week and run some maintenance for you? I don't know what kind of device there is, or especially one for $100 that will help you, but it doesn't seem like a problem worth risking your pump over. Maybe it sounds harsh, and I don't mean too, but I am trying to help and prevent you from having a bigger expense like a new pool pump.

What about a Spouse, Partner, SO, or Roommate that could help?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    Chain saw LOL
    YUP!

We took out one palm right after we moved in because it was lifting the deck. Two more that drop "dates" in or near the pool are slated for the same fate right now. Trees are nice but when they cause issues they need to go.

12. Back To Top    #12

Even though I said " LOL" on my post I actually took down a Hackberry earlier in the year. What a PITA that tree was. Life is MUCH better without it.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

13. Back To Top    #13

When I was a kid we had a Shammel Ash almost due north of our pool. The wind in SoCal blows those Santa Anas out of the north in the the fall and spring. That thing would coat both the water surface and bottom of the pool with leaves. I spent many an afternoon after school scooping those up. The problem was we had no control over removal of that tree. Fortunately now, I control all the property and trees close enough to be in issue with the pool so if they're causing issues, they go.

Last edited by Sammy2; 04-10-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Buy

14. Back To Top    #14

Use a "cheater product" like a pool skim that connects to a return.
    They can be fitted with large bags that hold a bunch of leaves.
    A couple of these babies will help out a lot in a high influx environment.

You'll still get a lot of leaves in the skimmer, but if you can keep half or them out you'll be better off.

POOLSKIM the Automatic Pool Skimmer - Review - YouTube

UD
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB

15. Back To Top    #15

maybe a skimmer basket w tower would help prevent it sucking dry
    https://www.amazon.com/SkimPro-Skimm.../dp/B00GSXSII4

In march I have to clean both skimmers and the polaris almost every day
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure 1400 SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

16. Back To Top    #16

that basket with tower would probably do the trick, I need to find out what type of skimmer I have though.

17. Back To Top    #17

You have two options:

1-Eliminate the source - you said you could not, so proceed to option 2
    2-Find a way to prevent leaf entry or quickest means of leaf removal once entered.
    -leaf prevention = A pool cover or very tall screen
    -leaf removal: there have been good many options here, but the more frequently you perform, the better it is. I work too and sometimes run the robot at midnight. No matter when you go home, feed the kids/etc., the last thing you can do is go empty the skimmers...make it a ritual per night, or every other night. Or, find a family that has a responsible young adult to do so 3 times a week [MWF] and you do T-Thur and weekends.

As Patrick stated, either you own the pool or it will own you. If your pumps craters, you're looking at WAY MORE than skimmer accessories. Get a plan. It will also eliminate all the negative energy you are spending on dealing w this issue.

Good luck and join the forum - you'll get your money back in the first week or two from many knowledgeable people that are here to help you - Happy Easter !!!
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

what kind of tree and are there more than 1 tree?
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

When I moved into my house, I noticed a small white birch tree growing near my pool. Being from New England, I thought it was cool to have one in the yard. Fast forward 10 years and now the tree is fully grown and I learn about it's shallow, spread root system that was growing underneath my pool coping and pushing the tiles off. The tree is gone and last year I had new coping and tile installed
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    what kind of tree and are there more than 1 tree?
    I'm not sure exactly the type of tree, there are many trees, most not on my property so I can't get rid of them. They are just over the line on the HOA property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast