Aquarite will only generate through one cycle, then won't come back on

Rlm89

Apr 18, 2014
Alabama
I have a Hayward AquaRite system with a T-15 cell. In starting up my pool this year I noticed that my cell is never generating when I randomly check it. I am currently letting the system run 24/7 until I get the pool cleared up. My salt water level is at 3000 and my pool temp is 67 degrees. I can turn the switch to off and then back on and the unit will start generating. Voltage goes to around 25 volts and current to around 4.8. It will generate fine for one 120 minute cycle, then it will stop generating and never start back until I manually turn the switch off and back to auto. Then it will generate for another 120 minutes, kick off and never come back on. Below is the exact diagnostics taken while the unit is generating

96P
al-0
r1.40

I have tried various settings for the percentage, including 100%, but the system does the same everytime.

That's odd. All of your numbers look good.

Try putting it on Superchlorinate to see if it works for more than one cycle.

What lights are lit?

Sometimes the percent dial will go bad. Does the digital display match the dial position?

Go to percent and rotate the dial to see if they match.

The percent changes when you turn the dial. It is a bit touchy but seems to stay set once you stop touching it. I have been watching the setting when I check on the unit to see if the numbers are changing for percentage. I will try the super chlorinate when it kicks off on this cycle, around 10:30. The only lights on are the power and generate both solid green.

OK the regular cycle kicked off around 10:20 or so. I missed the exact time, but it was slightly less than the 120 minutes due to being at 96%. I waited until 10:40 to see if it would come back on but no luck. I switched the control switch to off for a few seconds, then switched to super chlorinate at just after 10:40. After the unit kicked on, I let the readings settle down and I see the below numbers.

100P

I shall check at 12:40 and see if the unit is still generating. I have a backup control panel that I plan to install if the super chlorinate cycle kicks off after one cycle. It is a newer control panel and likely has a different revision s/w.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Sounds reasonable. If this is the case then it must always start with the same polarity after being switch off, and I should be able to wait out the 2nd 120 minute cycle that is not working and when it cycles back to the original polarity, it should start generating. If this turns out to be the case would you suspect the cell or the control board?

I'm thinking that it's a bad relay on one polarity.

You can cycle polarities by going to off, waiting a minute and then back to auto.

If one polarity works and one doesn't, pull the board and check the back for burn marks.

Most likely you will be able to resolder a bad connection to fix the problem.

The relays are black boxes on the circuit board. They have metal legs that stick through the board. If you look at the back, you should see a good solder point around the leg. In these cases, you will usually see solder gaps around the leg. Usually, if you fill in the gaps, you're back in business.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. After the system was off for 120 minutes it switched polarity and started generating. I think you are dead on about the relay problem. Switched controllers and here are readings

100p
Al-0
r 1.59

I think the cycle time is different for this revision? I will check old controller for bad solder joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK new control panel running as expected. Past the 180 minute cycle time and still generating. I checked the old control board for suspicious solder joints and did not see one so my plan is to order new relays and replace them, hopefully salvaging my backup. Your help has been amazing and spot on.

Can you post a picture of the back of the board?

6dbfee5568e8c15f2f770d096cbb899e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right side 75% up is a burn spot. I think that that’s a bad spot.

I think that that’s the thermistor. However, if it is, it should be bad in both polarities.

I would resolder that first to see if it fixes the problem.

A couple of the other solder points look weak as well. Maybe touch them up to be sure.

Yea that burned spot is the thermistor, so the relay connections are to the left of it. I plan on checking to see if I can get the relays, especially if they are fairly cheap, so if touching up the joints don't fix it, I will have a replacement part to install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.