Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filling pool early

1. Back To Top    #1

filling pool early

Is it unwise to fill my pool this early?

In the spring, my sump pumps out about 400-700 gallons of clean groundwater per day, depending on rainfall. I can re-route it to a hose that would feed into my pool. Of course, I would add the appropriate amount of chlorine to keep it at shock level and keep the winter cover on. I just figured this water is free as opposed to the fire hydrant I used last year. We're also safe any freezing. It would take a couple of weeks to fill, but June is at least a couple of weeks away.
    26K painted gunite / 24" Cristal-flo (prefilter) to Dayton 4VMN8 cartridge filter / 1.5 hp Pentair Superflo VS pump / Maytronics Dolphin S200 / TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filling pool early

We always say "Open quickly and close late" to avoid algae problems as best as possible. My only concern would be filling so slow as to not being able to circulate with your pump. But if you are able to add chlorine, and incorporate a way mix either manually or with a supplemental pump for "some" circulation, to a point that will keep the water sanitized, I say go for it. The cover should help with process as well. The best kind of water is free water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I wanted to hear.

I really don't want to put the circ system back together right now, so I thought I'd set up a drip system over the sump cover so that it's pumping out properly chlorinated water. Pool math says 1 tsp per 4 gallons to go from 0-16. Maybe I can swing it. I'll test the water every couple of days to avoid under or over-chlorinating.
    26K painted gunite / 24" Cristal-flo (prefilter) to Dayton 4VMN8 cartridge filter / 1.5 hp Pentair Superflo VS pump / Maytronics Dolphin S200 / TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like a good plan. I like your DIY skills.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!