How high CC and TC get during SLAM?

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
When slamming, how high can you expect to see your CC and TC get?

For example, let's say my SLAM level is 12. If I maintain my FC at 12 for several days, can I see my CC and TC rise to 24 or 36 or more, or does the CC start to disappear?

Kevin

You can't "create" chlorine. CC and FC are components of TC and their total is all you can get.

So, if you start a SLAM by adding 20 FC to your pool, some of that 20 ppm will convert to CC's (usually not more than .5 to 2 ppm) but, in no case will your TC exceed the Total of 20 ppm that you added to begin with. (it will only deplete)

Please review "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....especially the extended info on chlorine, and I think you will have a better understanding of how it all works.

Chemistry wise, the transaction is quite a bit more complex but TFP strategy works fine following the above ideas.

When slamming, how high can you expect to see your CC and TC get?

For example, let's say my SLAM level is 12. If I maintain my FC at 12 for several days, can I see my CC and TC rise to 24 or 36 or more, or does the CC start to disappear?

Kevin
Everybody's pool is different, some see very little rise in CC, while others have quite a bit.

Remember, TC is the sum of FC + CC (CC+FC=TC). If CC's go up, so does TC. BTW- I have never seen a CC that is 2-3X the FC level, but nothing here surprises me anymore LOL.

During a SLAM, the only thing that needs to be checked is FC. If the water is green, the CC value is useless as it does not effect how to perform the SLAM. Once the water clears, then you can check CC at the OCLT.

Well, here is my dilemma:

I did a Jack's Magic copper stain treatment. It has been 4 weeks. According to the instructions, you will get false FC readings for 3-4 weeks. I am still getting the readings.

Now, for several months, I have had some green in and around the pool, including ON TOP of my solar cover. I have attributed it to dry weather and pollen, as my CC has always been 0. I have only been getting the CC since the treatment.

The green "pollen" is still around, and may even be getting worse. So, now I am unsure if I am having an algae breakout, or I am still getting false reading. Currently, my CC is about 8, and I am afraid to add too much chlorine to battle algae should that be what the green is or is becoming.

My water is crystal clear. I could tell heads or tails on a dime in the deep end. But, the green is sticking to the sides in some spots. It comes off easy, brushing and vacuuming up with no problem.

Oops, I sent my quick reply too quick.

"Usually not more than .5 to 2 ppm" answers my question. Since I am getting 8+ CC, I will take it that I am still getting the false readings from the sequestrant in the treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.