Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Eyeballs - HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Eyeballs - HELP!

Hello,

My pool was finished last fall and closed by my builder. I opened the pool today and for the life of me can not get the eyeballs back in. I have banged on them so hard to get them back into the wall returns I am afraid I am going to break them. Does anyone have any tips or should I consider replacing them with a different type?

The pic on the left shows part of it unscrewed and the pic on the right shows them fully assembled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be built Spring 2016. 750 sq foot gunite free form. Raised spa with spillover and dedicated pump, 16 foot fiberglass slide built into hill with bolder steps, approx 1,000 sq foot stamped concrete deck, Pentair VS+SVRS pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 btu gas heater, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Pentair Intellichem, Pentair Easytouch, Rapids 4WD pool cleaner, 2 LED Intellibrite lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Eyeballs - HELP!

Mam,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for new pool owners...

Just wanted to say hi, but I can't help with this particular question.

I had not see eyeballs like yours until last week where one of our members reported have the opposite problem..

His eyeballs would pop out anytime his pump ran above 1800 RPM...

I'll contact him and see if he can chime in here..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yeah, I have not seen those eyeballs either. Do you know who makes them?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I am the member Jim was referring to. Unfortunately as he mentioned, my problem is the opposite. Have you tried using a rubber mallet? Are the return pipes currently under water or is the water level lower than them since you are just opening it?

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could try sanding them down a little or using some silicone lube.

Maybe replace them with another type or just leave them out.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

I sanded them down, but unfortunately I sanded one too much and now it won't stay in. The other two fit perfectly now. I believe they are made by Aquastar.

https://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-67...FR2BswodmPsFhQ

does anyone have a recommendation of a replacement eyeball for the I sanded too much or a way I can slightly increase the diameter again so it stays securely? I tried electrical tape but that did not work.

- - - Updated - - -

Prior to sanding them I did try a rubber mallet and lube. They are below the water level.
    To be built Spring 2016. 750 sq foot gunite free form. Raised spa with spillover and dedicated pump, 16 foot fiberglass slide built into hill with bolder steps, approx 1,000 sq foot stamped concrete deck, Pentair VS+SVRS pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 btu gas heater, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Pentair Intellichem, Pentair Easytouch, Rapids 4WD pool cleaner, 2 LED Intellibrite lights.