Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timer for SWG..

1. Back To Top    #1

Timer for SWG..

Built my pool last summer and pool builder installed intelliflo and autopilot digital SWG and said to just run them with no timers 24/7. I've been reading these forums and don't think it is necessary to run pump 24/7. My plan is to use the built in timers for the pump and use a mechanical intermattic timer for the SWG.. Couple of questions

Will it harm the electronic controls of the SWG to be power cycled a few times a day?
    Do I just rely on the flow switch of the heat pump?
    20X40 Vinyl 25000 gallon In Ground pool built June 2016. Pentair intelliflo, Pentair 420 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot Digital with SC 42, (2) Pentair color 5g led lights, auto cover, (3) water jets, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump. Aquacal T135 Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Timer for SWG..

That is how my set up operates. Pump is controlled by its internal timer. SWG runs on a time clock set to run inside the pump run time window. My heat pump also has an internal timer so I set that to run inside the pump run time window also.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

H,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your SWCG and Pump questions...

The SWCG is not supposed to have power when the pump is off, so turning it on/off is not a problem.

The SWCG's flow switch is the secondary safety device that prevents the SWCG from running when the pump is off. The primary safety is supposed to be something like a relay, or time clock, that removes power from the cell controller.

For reference I run my Intelliflo 24/7, at 1,200 RPM, for less than $20 a month.

My guess is your pump is running lot faster than that...

Thanks for posting and good luck with your project,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That is how my set up operates. Pump is controlled by its internal timer. SWG runs on a time clock set to run inside the pump run time window. My heat pump also has an internal timer so I set that to run inside the pump run time window also.
    That's same set-up as my PB used. My only concern is that the power goes out while I'm on vacation. Big storms always possible here in the sunshine state and if power should go out for extended period my mechanical clock gets out of sync with my pump. PB said the auto flow sensor would prevent SWG from charging if the pump wasn't on. Worse case I guess is no chlorine and pool turns green while I'm away.
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

5. Back To Top    #5

That's true, the time clock will lose the time and the pump timer will retain the time. So, if the power is out for an hour the times will be off by an hour. Yes, the flow switch in the SWG cell is a back up safety mechanism to prevent generation of chlorine without water flow. I generally leave my VS pump on 24x7 at 1100 rpm when I am out of town. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm and costs less than 12 bucks per month at 10.25c/kWh.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks pooldv for the suggestion on leaving the pump running while on vacation. Pump now runs at 1850 for a couple hours in morning then drops to 1500 for the next 8 hours, setting at 1100 rpm on "vacation mode" for 24x7 is basically break even on cost while I'm away.
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    My heat pump doesn't have any kind of internal timer. Is it safe to just rely on the flow switch in the heat pump?
    20X40 Vinyl 25000 gallon In Ground pool built June 2016. Pentair intelliflo, Pentair 420 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot Digital with SC 42, (2) Pentair color 5g led lights, auto cover, (3) water jets, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump. Aquacal T135 Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, that will work fine.
    TFP Moderator