Aqualink read temperature reading from Raypak heater?

May 5, 2015
Centennial CO
Sorry for another post. I'm having trouble finding information about the Jandy Aqualink - the documentation it comes with is weak. I just bought the Jandy Z4 aqualink. It comes with a water temperature sensor which you have to drill through your PVC and put a wire clamp over it. I have a Raypak heater which already has a water temperature sensor. It seems redundant to have 2 right next to each other. The Raypak heater has a remote mode and can communicate with Aqualink, but I don't know if the Jandy Aqualink can get that information and use it for things like freeze protection or to see the temperature on your phone with iAqualink.

Anyone have this setup and has been able to do this?

You need to install the temp sensor in the pipe that came with your automation system. That is how it works. You then set the heater temp all the way up to 104 and put it in remote mode. Now the automation system will control the heater and the temp.

You didn't say what model RayPak you have. I have the 406A and the manual (p.37) says it will work with a remote that does not have a temp sensor. You set the max temp on the RayPak then put it in Remote mode. The heater will not exceed that max setting - it will use its internal temp sensor to start/stop the burner.
If you had a remote system with its own temp sensor then you set the RayPak to its max temp (104) then put it in Remote mode. Then if your remote system is set for a lower temp it will shut off burner when it gets to that temp.

You didn't say what model RayPak you have. I have the 406A and the manual (p.37) says it will work with a remote that does not have a temp sensor. You set the max temp on the RayPak then put it in Remote mode. The heater will not exceed that max setting - it will use its internal temp sensor to start/stop the burner.
If you had a remote system with its own temp sensor then you set the RayPak to its max temp (104) then put it in Remote mode. Then if your remote system is set for a lower temp it will shut off burner when it gets to that temp.

Yes you could set the temp on the heater for the pool setting to say 88 and then the spa to say 100 and use the three wire connection to the automation system. However, it prevents you from adjusting the temp via your automation system and in order to change it you have to go to the heater, take it out of remote and then adjust the temp. Many people find it nicer to be able to adjust temps along the way without having to run out to the heater.

The advantage to using the automation systems temp sensor is that you can monitor the water temp remotely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.