Plaster (Marble Dusting) & Plumbing Renovation cost?

Apr 8, 2017
Nissequogue
Hi All!

Last Oct. we bought a house with a gunite pool located in St. James, N.Y on Long Island.
The pool was built in 1978 and the plaster and all the herringbone pavers are in need of a redo. Some have said that if I'm removing all of the pavers, now is the time to redo the plumbing aspects of the pool. I do agree. I've gotten a quote from a family owned pool place and think it's a bit high compared to some of the quotes I've seen online...I would appreciate some thoughts. The pool is 20x40 with 4' shallow/8' Deep. Thank you!

Here is the breakdown:
Coping & Tile Removal - $1000.00
Acid Wash Pool - $1400.00
Bluestone coping - $6500.00
Tile - $3600.00
Marble Dust/Plaster - $8400.00
Skimmers (boxes & Lines) - $3500.00
Returns (returns & Lines) - $2500.00
Main Drain (pool side to filter) $1000.00

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I have no specific recommendations for you but other experts will be along soon to help out. Most likely, to compare prices and know if you're getting a good deal, then you need to get multiple quotes. It's the only way to sort out pricing since it is all very regional. And given where you live, in-ground gunite pools are very rare. I suspect when the original owners put it in, they had A LOT of money to do so (in today's dollars).

One other reason I wanted to post - I grew up in East Setauket not too far from where you live. All of my family has since moved away from LI, but it's always fun to see new people from LI show up on the forum. I spent many, many summers as a kid playing on West Meadow beach and the rocky North Shore. Nissequogue is a beautiful area to live in.

Good luck with the renovation!

Re: Plaster (Marble Dusting) & Plumbing Renovation cost?

When we started getting quotes to remodel our pool I kept joking "No, you're confused ... we already HAVE a pool, we just need to update it". And my husband had already updated all of our equipment. It's expensive; probably why people fill in their pools instead of fix them up.

To be more comparable and clear on my comment - the tile price is pretty spot in to mine if just a regular porcelain. I went with a cheaper stone so there is a bit of price difference there. I don't know about marble dust but I went with quartz and my plaster quartz is a bit less as well. Overall, for the work that was done which is similar to yours (tile, coping and plaster), I was about $6k cheaper. But it seems like you are getting some higher end finishes.

I would ask them to price out sandblasting the plaster down to the original gunite. We paid about what you were quoted for acid wash. Two advantages - avoids risk of missing weak or loose spots in existing plaster and it enables you to get a visual check on the gunite.

It seems a bit high but not way off - for this price I would expect very nice high quality work and expensive materials.

What I did not see was any new equipment - pump, filter, chlorinator, automation, LED lights

I also DO NOT understand why they would acid wash when they are going to replaster. The surface needs to be roughed up and any loose plaster removed before replaster. Also a bonding agent is used if you are doing plaster over plaster. I would expect to get sandblasting for the surface prep.

For your quote of plaster I would expect you could get a pebble finish.

But you are in Long Island or the high rent district.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.