green so shocked at 20 per pool calc....brushed twice
    24 hour pump run.....POOL looks great.....touch cloudy bu
    97% perfect! Retset...
    FC 8
    PH 7.3
    TA 68
    CH 147
    CYA 95....I RETESTED and got 97!
    I vacuumed 1/4 pool to driveway.....need to drain more? any other ideas?
    Thoughts

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: High CYA after opening

What did you use to raise the FC?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Let me guess, you shocked with dichlor?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

4 1/2 121 oz
    8.25 liquid bleach
    17-059-15:30 62
    Wal-Mart $2.64 each
    20K, IG, new Merlin vinyl liner, sand, Triton Tr-60, Eco-Pump EP-6, 1.5hp, Taylor TF-100
    Test kit, city water, built in 1979.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Strange, if you used liquid chlorine and didn't add any CYA then one of your tests was faulty. You used your TF-100 for both tests? Is the water cold and, if so did you let one of the tests warm up first but not the other? Same lighting for each?

Sorry for all the questions but the only explanation is an error in testing and hoping to help you figure out which test is more likely to have been accurate.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Strange, if you used liquid chlorine and didn't add any CYA then one of your tests was faulty. You used your TF-100 for both tests? Is the water cold and, if so did you let one of the tests warm up first but not the other? Same lighting for

Sorry for all the questions but the only explanation is an error in testing and hoping to help you figure out which test is more likely to have been accurate.
    No Stabilizer added, TF-100 for all 3 test, water temp 59 degrees,noon time testing sunny days, hand held. heat generated only

I'm leaning toward bad test,
    (operator error) when I did my first test. Will let pump run another 24 hours and will recheck CYA. It looks like 10000 gallon drain and refill.
    Hoping for the best! Lots of rain this year.POOL was drained 2 inches below eyeballs, when opened between deck and top of skimmer...maybe 6-8 inch rise
    20K, IG, new Merlin vinyl liner, sand, Triton Tr-60, Eco-Pump EP-6, 1.5hp, Taylor TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

That should do, let the water warm up to around 70 before adding the reagent, that should help make sure it is an accurate test.

And accept my apologies for the dichlor assumption. That seemed to fit the results so closely.
    Pool School - PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

No problem! I appreciate your help! Any thoughts about CYA reduced by Bio Active?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Been tried by a number of folks here and had no positive results.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Yeah, skip the BioActive. Water replacement works 100% of the time. Most results of CYA reducer have been zero, with a couple reports of partial success (though at least one of those had questionable testing). So it isn't worth the time or money to try it, and you might end up with a green pool on top still needing a water change.
    Pool School - PoolMath