Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Pump/Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Pump/Motor

I am going into year 5 with our pool. Just before close this Fall, the motor bearings became very noisy. So I at least need to do a rebuild, but have some questions:

This is a Hayward SP2607X102S (dual speed). I can rebuild at approximately $150 + new gaskets/seals for a total of about $175 or so. Or, I can buy a new SPX1607Z2MS replacement dual speed motor and add net gaskets and seals for about $400. Or, I can do a complete change out. I ask because I have sometimes struggled with having enough flow for my far end skimmer. To the point on low, I don't even bother using. I am not sure if stepping up to the next size higher pump would make a difference or not.

Any tips, for rebuild, motor replace or complete pump replace for best outcome appreciated. (Please note variable probably doesnt make sense in our cheaper electricity area).

Thanks!

Ted

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Pump/Motor

I was able to repair my pump using guides from http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/ and YouTube videos. Try to look up the repair info and see if it is something you​ feel comfortable doing yourself.

~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit