New Pool Build Los Angeles

Hello TFP members,

I’d like to get your feedback on something. I want to add additional steps to the left side of the pool. See in the illustration below. My SO thinks they will take up too much space, since the width of the pool is only 12 feet. (I've even agreed to go with smaller stairs, but he wants nothing on that end of the pool.) However, I think it’s important to have an easy egress point on both sides of the pool, especially in 10+ years when I am older. I told him I would post to the forum and let consensus decide. Thanks.

Backyard & Pool Layout - FINAL.jpg

Last edited:
The distance between the edge of the spa and the left wall is the length of my whole pool. That's still plenty big. The steps won't decrease things much. I also think you'll be happier having some steps near the lanai and grilling area, because that is most likely where people will congregate. Nobody wants to walk thirty feet across hot concrete to get in or out.

I can't open your attachments. I'm outside (sitting on my pool's sunshelf), so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a huge fan of steps, especially steps with low rise. Mine are 6" each - I have 7. When my pool was built, I really needed them. Now, not so much now. But I'm so glad I decided to go with the 6" steps. They are soooo nice and easy. The biggest surprise about them is how everyone (young and old) loves them! People with pools who see pool steos say they wish they had them. When I can open your pictures, I might be able to make some suggestions if you're interested.

Oh, I know you were just asking about adding steps on the left end - not necessarily the rise of the steps. But when you mentioned steps would be nice when you get older - well that's when I wanted to reply. Trust me, steps are little help if they are too high and you have mobility issues. Remind your SO that you don't even have to be old to need low rise steps. Any age person can break a leg, foot, ankle, hip, or have back or knee injuries. Good luck getting some steps there! I hope you're more persuasive than me!

Suz

How deep is it there? I say put a bench on the long side by the Lanai. You can swim up to it then in the corner I would put a small step on the bench for ease exit. The bench will be a nice area for people to sit on and chat with people sitting in the Lanai AND it will be helpful for jumping out and tending the grill.

IF you do stairs you can have them "hug" the side of the pool instead of going out into the pool.

Kim:kim:

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. This is still very much a heated debate...I mean really heated.:grrrr: But I am willing to compromise. @Kim, the depth is only 4 feet. Our pool will be a 4-6-4, so I thought stairs would be appropriate, but I might consider a bench or narrow stairs along that side of the pool. For my SO, it's esthetics, but I need functionality, so we will need to compromise somehow. Thanks again.

I agree with suz and Kim. If you think that you might need them later on then put them in and make sure they are not aggressive to interfere with the flow of the pool. By putting in the steps how Kim did above I think it's a happy medium for both parties

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
June 1 has a nice ring to it anyway! What did you and your SO decide to do about the steps/bench add?

Hi TM,
We haven't yet...:( We may go with something narrow like KimKats drew in her suggestion or we may just do a bench along the wall with a step on it to get out on the left side. But I still like my original idea because it seems planned versus something put in at the last minute. My PB says don't worry about it too much right now, we can figure it out either during rebar or the gunite stage.

Hi TM,
We haven't yet...:( We may go with something narrow like KimKats drew in her suggestion or we may just do a bench along the wall with a step on it to get out on the left side. But I still like my original idea because it seems planned versus something put in at the last minute. My PB says don't worry about it too much right now, we can figure it out either during rebar or the gunite stage.

That's good! Then you can see what "feels" right. Take a look at our little steps - soon to be tiled! [emoji4]

That's good! Then you can see what "feels" right. Take a look at our little steps - soon to be tiled! [emoji4]

I love your steps and showed it to my partner, and of course he liked it. I just think if it's too small, it will look like an afterthought in our pool. But of course it's perfect for the size of you pool. If we did something like that, we would have to go a little larger.

"Soon to be tiled" So you decided to tile the stairs? That is going to look awesome! I may want to do the same thing. :p

I love your steps and showed it to my partner, and of course he liked it. I just think if it's too small, it will look like an afterthought in our pool. But of course it's perfect for the size of you pool. If we did something like that, we would have to go a little larger.

"Soon to be tiled" So you decided to tile the stairs? That is going to look awesome! I may want to do the same thing. :p

Yes! I'm going to have the steps and the bench wall completely tiled. I have researched the heck out of this. The technical guys at Oceanside Glass are former tile setters and they've been doing tile a very long time. Oceanside has pools that were tiled 25 years ago that haven't yet needed repair! I'm going to have our installer follow their manual to the letter and will purchase everything they suggest - which is contrary to most advice I've been given on tile. I'm happy to share the info if you'd like to read it. Have you decided yet on your tile?

I totally agree that our steps are teeny-tiny But they were here and what we have to work with - I am adding one small step on top of the bench in line with the others, as I can't get in or out of the pool well due to my short stature, which isn't even that short! (5'5")

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.