Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where should I dump my test-kit water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where should I dump my test-kit water?

I might be pushing the theory of there being no such thing as a dumb question here, but is there a "right" place to dump my tested pool water once I have my numbers? I've been dumping it on the deck, on the theory that concrete is tough and not chemically reactive, but then I don't know what the test reagents are. Am I killing my concrete?

Would I be better off dumping it on the lawn and maybe killing those darn dandelions...?
    ~22,000 gallon IG plaster pool with spillover spa | Hayward Progrid DE filter | 1.5 HP single-speed Pentair WhisperFlo pump | Poolvergnuegen The Pool Cleaner 4-Wheel Cleaner | Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Where should I dump my test-kit water?

In the small amounts used, those test reagents will not hurt the lawn. When I test outside, that's where I dump. If I'm inside, it goes down the drain.

While it won't hurt the concrete, i don't know if it might stain over time.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I dump mine in the flower bed. The flowers don't seem to mind at all.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Huh... I've been dumping it in the pool... never gave it a thought.
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Huh... I've been dumping it in the pool... never gave it a thought.
    That's the last place you should be dumping them. Just dump them out onto the lawn.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Never dump your test samples in the pool. Especially if you do a Salt test with the yellow reagent. It's made from Chromate...so not good. Either way, no samples dumped back into the pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Huh... didn't think it was that big of a deal. We're talking parts-per-billion... Thanks, though, I'll start throwing it in the yard.
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Huh... didn't think it was that big of a deal. We're talking parts-per-billion... Thanks, though, I'll start throwing it in the yard.
    I look at it this way, my family is swimming in this pool, the little ones are more than likely swallowing water.

I'm not putting anything in this pool that does not have to be in it, period.
    Dom - TFP Guide

9. Back To Top    #9

I know my white kitchen sink doesn't like one of the chemicals, and I don't know which one. I get stains that I have to bleach off every time. I sure do hear it from the wife too!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner